• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

AQUARIUM FISH DEPOT - DISHONEST AND UNETHICAL

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Adorai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Reefers,

In an effort to protect our community and others, I wanted to share my awful experience when buying from Aquarium Fish Depot, a retailer based in San Diego, California.

TL;DR
AFD refused to refund Boxing/Handling (insulated box and heat packs) when picking-up locally (i.e. did not provide insulated box and heat packs). AFD attempted to withhold amount in multiple ways over the course of 30 emails and 2 months of dispute:
1. Claimed refund was already processed and issued.
2. Claimed that Boxing/Handling is not typically refunded or waived with local pick-up.
3. Claimed that Boxing/Handling was not charged.
4. Claimed that Boxing/Handling refund would be impossible.

I brought attention to how their ridiculous attempts to withhold money may seem dishonest and unethical. Ultimately, I was refunded.

In request for an honest explanation or response, they provided none.

Full-length
Some context, I had contacted Aquarium Fish Depot (AFD) to request local pick-up for my forthcoming order of a Blue Tang, to which they agreed, and instructed me to select shipping when purchasing online (as there was no option for local pick-up) - while reassuring that the shipping ($24.99) and boxing ($19.99, heat-pack and insulated box) would be refunded. A little strange, but nothing too out of the ordinary, so I proceeded to order with some caution but mostly confidence in their response. As a precaution, I included in the order notes reference to the instruction I received from AFD personnel.

Almost same day, I received refund for the shipping ($24.99) and sent follow-up email on the status of the boxing refund. AFD responded that both refunds were processing and requested I be patient.

A few days pass and I go to pick-up my order without issue. I even was allowed to select the fish I wanted out of several on display. Staff placed the fish in a bag with oxygen and reassured me (again) that the shipping ($24.99) and boxing ($19.99) would be refunded.

A week later, I had still not received refund for boxing so I followed-up via email but did not receive a response.

A month later, and still nothing. Another follow-up via email and now the real fun begins - through the course of more than 20 emails, AFD personnel communicated:

1. Claimed Boxing refund was processed.
This was not the case as reflected on PayPal statements.
2. Claimed Boxing is not waived/refunded with local pick-up.
"Why was the boxing and handling fee suppose to be refunded? That’s typically not a fee we refund for in store pick ups who did you speak to about that being an exception?"
"What was the refund for? Did you pick up in store or what was the issue?"
Explained that no business could justify charging for good/service that was not provided for (i.e. heat-pack and insulated box).
3. Claimed Boxing and Handling was not charged.
AFD described the line item was removed and not charged - but AFD previously shared total amount charged which included Boxing. I had shared PayPal statement line item showing identical total charge amount which included Boxing. AFD personnel seemed incapable of simple math!
4. Claimed refund would be impossible.
"But the boxing isn’t there it’s in removed items there is legitimately no possible way for me to refund something that simply isn’t there as shown above. I can offer you a credit for the $15 but I can’t refund something that’s not there. It’s just not possible."
"It was removed from the order which means it wasn’t charged, there is nothing I can do beside offer you store credit, he’ll I’ll even give you $30 store credit but the one thing I cannot do is refund something that wasn’t charged it was removed from the order."
Asked AFD to imagine that they were me and recapped all above. "you can understand how this may appear to be an example of a dishonest and unethical business practice to defraud customers.
5. Processed refund.

I asked AFD to provide an honest explanation but they offered no response.

AVOID AQUARIUM FISH DEPOT!

Last edited:
Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back