Aquarium Stand Debate

boomer93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all it is my first time here but have been reading and learning a lot with you for the past year, so many successes and setbacks but still going strong on this reef journey! After having a 15 gallon for a year I decided to upgrade to a 30 gallon IM Fusion Pro 2, I think that is the max I can fit in my small New York apartment without having to compromise space. So my 15 gallon has been seating on top of this credenza from CB2 (https://www.cb2.com/suspend-media-console/f17081) for a year now without any issues, the thing is made of solid wood, and marble on top 1/2 inch solid wood, 1/2 inch marble, in the middle another one-inch solid wood diving it, and on the bottom 1/2 inch solid metal, iron on all four sides, and across. Now with my new 30 gallon I am afraid to use this credenza so I decided to buy a proper Aquarium stand, and bought the Aquatic Fundamentals 50 Gallon Stand Model 19501. Today I was about to set up the stand but when I opened the box, for my surprise the thing is not sturdy at all, just cheap composite wood without the support in the middle only on the sides. Do you think I would be ok with my credenza from CB2? I added some pictures, sorry for the mess.

thumbnail_image2.jpg thumbnail_image4.jpg thumbnail_image1.jpg 1.jpg AF 50 Gallon.png thumbnail_image3.jpg

emmysnewtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I am debating the IM 30 or 40L...and my hold up has been stand as well. My issue/concern is that having a stand with no room to 'work' on tank will feel weird. Currently have a 16g on a CB(!) dresser which is plenty sturdy...and I like having the room to put test kits, towels, trays etc when I'm playing in the tank.

that credenza probably more solid than any cheap stand for sure tho.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello all it is my first time here but have been reading and learning a lot with you for the past year, so many successes and setbacks but still going strong on this reef journey! After having a 15 gallon for a year I decided to upgrade to a 30 gallon IM Fusion Pro 2, I think that is the max I can fit in my small New York apartment without having to compromise space. So my 15 gallon has been seating on top of this credenza from CB2 (https://www.cb2.com/suspend-media-console/f17081) for a year now without any issues, the thing is made of solid wood, and marble on top 1/2 inch solid wood, 1/2 inch marble, in the middle another one-inch solid wood diving it, and on the bottom 1/2 inch solid metal, iron on all four sides, and across. Now with my new 30 gallon I am afraid to use this credenza so I decided to buy a proper Aquarium stand, and bought the Aquatic Fundamentals 50 Gallon Stand Model 19501. Today I was about to set up the stand but when I opened the box, for my surprise the thing is not sturdy at all, just cheap composite wood without the support in the middle only on the sides. Do you think I would be ok with my credenza from CB2? I added some pictures, sorry for the mess.

thumbnail_image2.jpg thumbnail_image4.jpg thumbnail_image1.jpg 1.jpg AF 50 Gallon.png thumbnail_image3.jpg
Although you shouldn't have to, you can brace the 50 model stand with 2'X4"s OR look also at Ikea who has sturdy versions at good prices

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
B

boomer93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with the credenza. Make sure that API test kit makes it to the trash with the Aquatic Fundamentals stand.
Thank you! It is Waayyyyyy better. I am laughing my butt off here about the API and the AF stand comment. What do you recommend?

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It Waayyyyyy better. I am laughing my butt off here about the API and the AF stand comment. What do you recommend?
Whatever you are comfortable with. I really like the Red Sea Pro test kits. Lots of people like Hanna checkers. Salifert and Nyos are good. Most will probably agree that the API needs to go. Welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
B

boomer93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your CB2 credenza should be fine, except it will get trashed eventually. I know your space is small and things are limited. What's wrong with the IM stand? It is also on sale right now.
Yes I really don't mind trashing it, as long as the apartment looks good lol The thing with the stand is that, the thing is cheap and not sturdy compared to what I already have, like why spend more money and taking up more space if I can use what I already have and it is better.

OP
OP
B

boomer93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you are comfortable with. I really like the Red Sea Pro test kits. Lots of people like Hanna checkers. Salifert and Nyos are good. Most will probably agree that the API needs to go. Welcome to R2R.
Sounds good I am going to look into it. Thank you!!

OP
OP
B

boomer93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I am debating the IM 30 or 40L...and my hold up has been stand as well. My issue/concern is that having a stand with no room to 'work' on tank will feel weird. Currently have a 16g on a CB(!) dresser which is plenty sturdy...and I like having the room to put test kits, towels, trays etc when I'm playing in the tank.

that credenza probably more solid than any cheap stand for sure tho.
I know exactly what you mean water changes are not fun but I already have my ritual for a year. I lay an old bed sheet on it to protect the wood, so I change the water, clean it up and go. Always prepare the water in advance and store it as well as the other equipment. So, I am actually ok with it. It is the price I pay to have my place looking good lol

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you! It is Waayyyyyy better. I am laughing my butt off here about the API and the AF stand comment. What do you recommend?
Salifert and hanna and agree on the API comment. I will not rely on a $25 master kit to sustain hundreds in live stock based on false readings

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved Orange transperant R2R 10-18-22.png

I am late to the party, I agree with most. Use your credenza, the all wood will work better than the pressboard stand. The tank weight will be around 240lbs

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the credenza vote. Just trace how the load transfers from top to bottom and make sure there aren’t any weak points that we aren’t spotting. You can always add supports and solid wood underneath and inside if you spot any weaknesses either now or in the future.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AF stand is fine for what it is, but it's made for a standard rimmed aquarium. Your media console specifies no more than 70 lbs, but would you feel comfortable with a couple of adults sitting on it? A 30 gal aquarium is around 300 lbs.

Second the IM stand idea, if for no other reason than it's a good place to keep "aquarium only" stuff.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back