Are amphipods good for our aquariums?

How often do you add amphipods to your tank?

• Frequently every 2 or 3 months

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Occasionally 2-3 times a year

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • Rarely once a year or less

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Only once

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Never

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • I refuse to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Came as a hitch hiker

Votes: 29 31.5%

• Total voters

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think being in a system where they have places to hide in the rocks etc, and probably a larger area. I wanted to get some started even before we started our business as I wanted as much live feeds as possible. This is just what I found when I researched how to culture them. May be true, may be just one opinion. I plan to DIY a separated tank to overcome this, but it all takes time.

I have a good population in one of my DT’s but they came as hitchhikers as I haven’t ever purchased any.
Yea im not exactly sure where mine came from originally either. They had to have shown up as aHH somewhere. They thankfully established in the sump of our 75G holding tank. And then when i setup this new tank, i took ALL the rocks and other stuff from the sump of our old 75G system, and even all the water and moved it into the sump of the new tank so that ALL of the babies and everything would get moved.
Thankfully now i can see full grown adults even in the rocks of the display tank at night now when i come shine a flashlight.
They really are cool little creatures. I love how they seem to always be swimming "upside down"

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put came in as a hitchhiker because inadded 20lbs of live rock and a couple scoops of sand out of my lfs's 40 year old live rock vat. Came with a billion pods, 4 inch long bristle worms and all kinds of other stuff. I still have them running around all over even with 17 fish in a 75g. Pretty sure its the only way my 2" watchman goby i never see hardly survives.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large mysid population in my 30g. When I set up the 80g I used all dry rock and was worried about getting "critters" like pods and worms and mysid into it for diversity. I didnt want to put any of the live rock from the 30 into the 80 lots of undesirables on it bubble algae, aiptaisa, few other things. So when corals got transferred I inspected each coral dipping bases in peroxide looking for aiptasia and removing any I found. I had to hand catch the stuff I wanted and didnt know if they would survive or flourish. So far so good. I put 3-4 bristleworms in, a few mysid maybe a dozen, copepods from reef by steel, a few amphipods. I see them in the sump and tank so must be doing ok. Not to the populations in the 30g but they are around.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a large mysid population in my 30g. When I set up the 80g I used all dry rock and was worried about getting "critters" like pods and worms and mysid into it for diversity. I didnt want to put any of the live rock from the 30 into the 80 lots of undesirables on it bubble algae, aiptaisa, few other things. So when corals got transferred I inspected each coral dipping bases in peroxide looking for aiptasia and removing any I found. I had to hand catch the stuff I wanted and didnt know if they would survive or flourish. So far so good. I put 3-4 bristleworms in, a few mysid maybe a dozen, copepods from reef by steel, a few amphipods. I see them in the sump and tank so must be doing ok. Not to the populations in the 30g but they are around.
Wow, thanks for the shout out. Sherry @Ocean_Queenie and I are always so happy to hear positive comments like this as it reinforces our belief that we are doing our customers right.

Very smart in how you describe transferring. I think a lot of the time, that extra attention really pays off in the long run.

Thanks for your support.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for the shout out. Sherry @Ocean_Queenie and I are always so happy to hear positive comments like this as it reinforces our belief that we are doing our customers right.

Very smart in how you describe transferring. I think a lot of the time, that extra attention really pays off in the long run.

Thanks for your support.
Oh yea that lr from the lfs was chock full of stuff. Too bad with good also comes bad. I am very careful with frags. I do not qt them like I used to but I do dip and inspect and if its on a frag plug I intend to keep it on the plug gets dipped in straight peroxide also if I can. So I know the bubble algae came in on the lr and most likely so did the aiptasia. Now I just need to catch a few more micro brittles out cruising at night.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not currently. Looking into that next. Working on a culture tank design as they will eat their young so have to have a method to keep the adults separated.
The Shedd Aquarium has a nice modular mysid culture shelf system set up that separates the adults nicely if you’re able to find any info on it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back