Are these baby clownfish or?

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, this is interesting, just saw these in the tank this evening. Not sure if they're clownfish babies or something else? Only have one mated clownfish pair, that's why I think they may be that? There's a lot of them swimming, hard to get a video!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It is hard to see from the video. And not knowing how magnified your camera was. Seem to move too fast and smooth for that size of pod IMO. Clownfish fry will look like a fish just super small. So if there is a translucent body (tail) along with the white circles moving in the video then they are most likely. If the white shapes in the video are exact, then they may be a copepod or isopod.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kinda hard to tell but looks like copepods to me, guess if you don't see baby clowns swimming around in a month you'll know for sure
It is hard to see from the video. And not knowing how magnified your camera was. Seem to move too fast and smooth for that size of pod IMO. Clownfish fry will look like a fish just super small. So if there is a translucent body (tail) along with the white circles moving in the video then they are most likely. If the white shapes in the video are exact, then they may be a copepod or isopod.

Definitely not pods, they're free swimming in the water, and are 100% different than our pods. I was just surprised to see them swimming around. We only have the one bonded pair or black and white snowflake clowns. Hopefully one or two make it!

It was hard trying to get a video with the light and everything last night. If I see them today I'll get another video, they definitely were attracted to the flash light when it was on

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a question to those that know:
Do newly-hatched clowns hide during the day or would they be just as likely to be swimming around during light period?
*only ask because this a lights OUT video so wondering what things look like during normal light period

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do newly-hatched clowns hide during the day or would they be just as likely to be swimming around during light period?
*only ask because this a lights OUT video so wondering what things look like during normal light period
I'm curious too, currently waiting for our tank lights to come on so I can see if I see anything! I'm not that hopeful that any will survive, but it's still exciting and there is a little hope haha.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It is not often that fry will survive in a tank. Check out my thread on clownfish babies under my personal account @HankstankXXL750 you will find what I did and what others taught me.

I have had a Bangii cardinal fish survive in a DT (but only one out of however many where hatched)

Baby clowns need a dense supply of food (generally rotifers) to bump into and eat vs having to hunt. They will starve faster than they can find food.

On the hatch nights that I have t been able to set up for, I haven’t seen any fry the following day as I’m pretty sure the tank mates made them a snack.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Here is the thread.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clownfish larvae do not hide, they drift in the water column day and night.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is interesting, just saw these in the tank this evening. Not sure if they're clownfish babies or something else? Only have one mated clownfish pair, that's why I think they may be that? There's a lot of them swimming, hard to get a video!

They are mysid shrimp.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back