Are these good or bad?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these stringy worms on my Bowerbankii during a night time spy hunt. Kill or keep?
IMG_4352.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like coral filaments defending its territory to me, not seeing worms, could be wrong
It does look like Mesenterial filaments. Basically coral guts. They extrude these for feeding and defense response. My guess from the pic is they are from the polyp in the center of the colony. Either looking for food (did you feed just before this?) or in response to something bothering it and it decided to push the red nuclear option button. Might be in response to the vermatid snail tubes right nearby. Usually not anything to worry about from the coral extruding them if the corals health is overall good. Unfortunately any nearby corals are going to get nuked if that touches them.
I had an acanthophillia do this. It was on a slightly higher area with some acans and zoas below and around it. the zoas were gone the next morning and the acans were skeletons. This was a long time ago and I didnt know this at the time. I thought it was going to be such a pretty garden area it was for about a week....lol.

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I have phyto in the tank always. It is healthy/ messy. Copepods, baby snails, and brine shrimp hatchlings are abundant so it might be feeding on those. I hate vermetid snails.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Other.

Back