Are you Moving???

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rinse the rock off in tank water after you get the livestock out. All the sand and detritus should come off easily enough. I previously moved a tank to another spot in the residence and was able to do so without disturbing anything. 50% water change and everything looked better after the move.

kayla s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crossing my fingers I can bring back an old thread for some assistance- moving 8 hours car drive next week, moving 2 BTAs and a pair of clowns that I love very much.
Is bagging them going to be safer than setting up buckets (Old tank water) with an air stone with a thermometer for an 8 hour drive?
Thanks so much in advance. They’re my mocha storm clowns, so hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eight hours is a long time in a bag ... I suspect that the pros are using oxygen in bags, rather than straight air, which should help with fish being shipped long distances.

If you can manage the buckets / airstones route, that might be the better bet. Do what you can to separate the animals - maybe the 'nems in one bucket, and the clowns in another?

#reefsquad, any thoughts?

~Bruce

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery powered airstone; dress so you can maintain a stead 76-77 degrees in the vehicle; shade the fish from direct sunlight; and as @Maritimer posted separate fish, inverts, corals, to increase survival rates of groups. And lastly, package like Live Aquaria, etc. would do with styrofoam, etc. to minimize temperature swings on your live critters. Best of luck. And extra batteries or even better, extra battery powered airstones as a backup. I like to use large ice chests as super large shipping containers to cushion from damage and temps. Yeti being the best brand to maintain temp for days.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 hours is a long time in a bag I agree. Corals and inverts may not be an issue. The fish, if possible would best be in a sealed bag with fresh oxygen. If you don't know someone with oxygen the next best bet would be to swing by a LFS (that ships and or has oxygen) on the way out of town and have them bag the fish.

Then as the others have suggested, stable temp is the most important part of the trip.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back