ASD UPDATE + SALE! 4/4/15 SATURDAY 6PM PST (9pm EST)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Curtis Scott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I have mine in the bottom of the tank, under a little rocky overhang. It stays mostly shut during the day, but starts to open around dusk (I have LEDs set to gradually power up/down on a parabolic setting like the sun). THe few times I've peeked at it in the middle of the night it has been huge -- about twice as big as it was in the picture above. The flow down there is kinda low, but I think they will tolerate moderate flow. I have a Dendrophyllia in the same tank that does fine with the moderate flow.

To encourage yours to open I would wait until lights off or just before that and kill your pumps. Squirt oyster eggs or the thawed "juice" from a frozen cube of food around your Balanphyllia to encourage it to open. Then once the tentacles are open you can give it a mysis or brine shrimp. There is a good post here about the "Tupperware method" of teaching your NPS coral to open up for feedings.

Thanks for replying. I've moved mine to the bottom under a ledge and will attempt to spot feed at night when it's open the most.

OP
OP
AquaSD

AquaSD

We specialize and Rare and Unusual Corals!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it's gone :( a beauty!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back