At wits end - QT just will not support SPS

UK_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, first, whats a 'travelling man on an eastwards path'? Thats been bugging me all night :)

As for the tank, that is interesting isent it. Sounds like everything apart from nitrate is on target. I reread the thread from the start and had a few thoughts. First, ceramic balls media in HOB, is it likely to be denitrifying? Probably not I guess, so you would expect nitrate to build up quite fast. Regardless, if you want to go directly to say 1 or 2 ppm instantly, you could dose a little inorganic nitrate and be there immediately. So one route would seem to be do that. If you are getting good results in the DT, and those parameters look similar to Glenns who reports success with them, you would expect that to be successful. One difference though is that Glenn does also dose carbon while maintaining those parameters (as you do in the DT). If after adding nitrate you get polyp happiness within a day or two thats a clue you can gain in a short time.

OTOH if your main tank is carbon dosed and you are moving corals from it to the QT, and they are used to a different (carbon dosed) environment, it does occur to me that they might be taking a downturn because of the change. A carbon dosed tank might have a quite different nutrient profile (IE more particulate and organic nutrients, aminos, etc, which are not measurable). It could be that they are used to higher total (including organic) nutrients maybe. Or, maybe, corals really do benefit from organics in the water, and the tank is just too sterile for their needs. Is that what a 'mature' tank is perhaps, a tank where the sand bed becomes full enough of bacteria and detritus that it starts adding significant organics back to the water?

Another thought was that if you are growing coralline fast, the tank basic can't be that off chemistry wise. My experience is that coralline does need some nutes too (I have watched it grow and shrink back as I played with nutes). Red sea coral pro is high alk and I wonder if your test kit might be off and the alk is actually high enough to harm the corals, especially if the alk seems to be depleting that fast (unless it can be explained by the coralline). Maybe you should try 7 dkh, or your DT alk level, (Randys tip for those using high alk salt was to add muratic acid to reduce alk in your WC mixing container, not to the tank, and aerate for a day to make pH return to normal). 20% hydrochloric acid (muratic acid) added in the ratio 0.059 ml per litre WC water will drop alk by 1 dkh (0.22 ml per gallon).

As far as the tank settling down goes, 10 months seems quite long, and many nano owners seem to be able to stock well before that with success.

Aminos add nitrogen without P btw, and I believe many now use aminos as organic nitrogen supplement. It wont be measurable on the test kit but apparently SPS respond well to aminos.

And re adding vinegar = removing nitrate - it will change the nitrate, which you can measure with the kit, into unmeasurable organic forms of nitrogen like aminos, biomass etc, that corals also utilise, not remove the nitrogen as such, unless you skim or use enough GAC to remove the organics. And skimming is debatable as to how effectively it removes the organic nitrogen. So making it probably more similar to the GBR reef water, which has unmeasurable (by our kits) nitrate, but 70 ppb nitrogen in the form of organics. Unless you are skimming or your GAC is taking all that bacteria and organic nitrogen out, it wont actually remove the nitrogen. Whether organic forms of nutrients like nitrogen are required by corals I don't know, but the more I read, the more convinced I become that they play a part, maybe a large part. Considering the natural reefs have far more organic nitrogen than inorganic nitrate, my current aim is to try to create that environment hence the bias towards carbon dosing at the moment :)

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete, darn, your not a traveling man afterall, would have loved exchanging thoughts with an UK brother.

The ceramic pellets were just rubble that has 100s of tiny holes drilled into it to give it more surface area and nooks and crannies for bacteria to grow. I didn't add them back to the HOB, just the sponge and a bag of gac (about 2 tbls spoons). Not really sure the gac is doing anything, was hoping to clean up the stringy algae that's now gone.
On moving coral from one tank to another, it will be similar to buying corals elsewhere, I'm sure not all vendors are dosing. The important thing is to have a healthy enough coral to survive dipping. I use Bayer advanced which I have great faith in, although it's a strong solution. It would be nice to have a frag go into quarantine, stay healthy, maintain color, and continue to encrust. I'm afraid that may be asking for too much, having my cake and eating it too.

The DT is doing fine, good colors and growth is slowing. Some of the chalice are fading a little on top and a couple of sticks RTN'd a little, but I changed out my LEDs to a much broader spectrum (ai Vega to hydra 52s) started carbon dosing, all about the same time. I "think" the coral stress in there now is from a change in light, even though I've started them very low (maybe too low according to the LED threads)

FTS-25-Month-2-S_zps5ffbda49.jpg

As you can see, tank is stuffed. The whole reason for the QT is I want (need) to expand into a 93 cube and since I do not want to duplicate past mistakes and introduce pests, I need the QT system. The good news is I'm not in any type of hurrry. Slow and steady always in this hobby.

Thank you for all the information and guidance! My tank has been on "auto pilot" for so long, it's somewhat exciting to have a problem to solve, problem is, it's taking so long to solve it lol!

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, hatfeilj, that's a real nice system, I wired my shed to do an electric setup and bought kals catalog and everything. I use several of his ideas on my system like the weldless bulkheads and the HERMS. But just never got around to going full electric. I guess you sold the controller eh?

Thanks for the compliment. I definitely sold the controller. I had a decent amount of money in that thing and had to get it back asap. Made a little profit on it too. It was a fun project and following Kal's instructions wasn't too terribly difficult. The system ran like a computer, so accurate and easy to use. Definitely worth the investment. Especially if you want to brew consistently good beer. I won a couple of homebrew contests because of that system. Those were the days!

UK_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, :confused:!

Anyway, thats a nice tank you have there :) I think youre probably right about the vendors carbon dosing, I doubt many of them do (over here anyway - not sure what the situation is like in the US). I use bayer too, although not the brand stuff, I got a packet of the powered Imidacloprid (imported from the US) as the bayer is, predictably, not available in the UK! Its amazing stuff and I recently watched as nudis fell off a monti frag while I watched.

It will be really interesting to see how your progress goes, especially since you have put so much detail in this thread, so let us know how the frags respond when you have your N and P in the butter zone, and what that butter zone turns out to be. As for help and guidance I am not sure how much of that I have provided, just a few ideas really, I am not a guru in this hobby unfortunately, more of a fellow experimenter travelling a similar path!

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday's test results. Still no no3 in the QT, Po4 has matched the DT at 1 ppb phosphorus. Calc at 450 (both tanks), alk is at 9 in QT and 9.5 DT. Finally got my hands on my programming cable to adjust the dosing times in the DT so those will be dropping now. The no3 in DT has risen slightly to .5 ppm. What should be my target, just stay below 1 ppm? I took water samples to the LED and had them double check my readings, was suppressed to see he even got the same 1 ppb phosphorus on both tanks. We agreed, was time to remove the rowaphos.

I haven't transferred any more frags to the QT, waiting for things to settle in.

Corals in the DT - between the carbon dosing, nutrient drop, and the upgraded LEDS things are getting stressed in there. Chalices (several) have faded on top. I think this is from the LEDs, I went from ai Vegas to ai hydra 52s. I kept the settings as close to the Vegas as I could but since there are lots more leds I set the hydra on acclimation mode for 3 months. I think it was still too high, so I've knocked them back down even more and still in acclimation mode. Digis, birdnest, stylos all seem to be fine, colors have darkend on a few but not browned out. Millis and chalices seem to be taking it the hardest. Millis are STN from the base and loss of color, I'm assuming this is from the drop in nutrients. I do have one favia, down at the very bottom and rear of the tank that doesn't look happy at all, for him, I think he needs more light. Hopefully he can wait until the other corals acclimate and I can start rising the values.

UK_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 ppb phosphate? That sounds too low to me Paul. Although I am interested in the GBR levels of 3 ppb organic PO4 and 3 ppb inorganic PO4, most SPS keepers seem to say higher than that is required for SPS health in tanks - perhaps because of less organics or particulates I wonder. And for your currently super ULN system the alk seems to high from what everyone has told me, suggesting that you have to be at NSW or close if your phosphate is that low. As far as the nitrate target, 0.5 to 2 ppm seems OK from what many people with nice tanks target. As for the phosphate I would probably not go below 10 ppb unless you are completely in control and are just testing. I think that sub 10 ppb or there about is quite experimental, probably 0.03 is more normal, with careful reductions if you want to experiment but watching coral health. Read up on Glenns experiences with phosphate, he targets 0.04 to 0.08 and keeps lots of SPS very happy looking. Not saying sub 10 ppb PO4 is not the way to go, but I think you are in unusual territory there and have to be careful about it!

Cheers, Pete

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete, we are in total agreement. I'm shooting for 10 ppb phosphorous which equates to about .03 po4, right now I'm at 0.003 which is why I've removed my rowaphos (po4 remover). I read that carbon dosing lowers no3 long before it's effective on Po4 so many folks just leave rowaphos (GFO) online at the beginning. Not really sure how fast Po4 will rise now that the GFO has been removed. Will keep a close eye on that.

I'm going to keep my current dose of carbon the same again this week and see where the No3 goes from here. I backed off .1 ml and it rose from .15 ppm to .50 ppm

Alk should drop pretty good this week now that I have my programming cable back, according to Randy's chart dkh is from 7-11 (except ULNS) and NSW at 7 dkh. It's always freaked me out to be at 7 dkh, but onward I go. 7 being the target but not wanting to drop too fast. That freaks me out as well.

I've really got to learn not to make multiple changes all at the same time (carbon & LEDs), really makes it hard to figure out whats upsetting the corals. I'm real worried about the chalices, 4 of which are corn bred corals so I have a bit of $ invested. All 7 chalices have faded equally. 80% sure too much light (maybe the UV). Haven't lost any yet, so keeping the fingers crossed. I guess one of the days I'll learn. Till next week, cheers!

UK_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sounds like you are doing everything right Paul, from what I know and read. I hope you see some positive effects soon, and it will be interesting to see if and how fast the phosphate rises now. I guess for now you just have to sit tight and watch for a bit and see where things go from here. Always difficult when you see your tank is stress I know.

Anyway I look forward to the next update and good luck :)

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just skimmed over the thread. I am with pete. High dkh w. ULNS is starving the sps out hope it turns around. Add fish to every tank ! :angel:

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test from this weekend, DT is doing much better, slight improvement in colors. Parameters are better this week.
5 ppb phosphorus or .02ppm po4
No3 is up to 1.5ppm
Alk is still high, made another adjustment to dosing pumps. 9.07 dkh

QT is another story. Still not ready to add the test frag.
0 ppb phosphorus
0 no3
Alk 9.07 dkh

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not budging off 0, maybe with the higher no3 level from the DT that will kick start the QT to rise now. I did a larger water change to get more no3 into the QT (3.5 gal or about 50%)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back