ATO Recommendations

RMAS0934

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I'm in the market for an ATO and was wondering what you all's opinions might be? I've been looking at the Hydor Auto, the JBJ, the AutoAqua Smart Micro (this is all for my SUMP), and some models on ATO.com. Any thoughts on these or even any I haven't listed? I'm trying to stay in that price range for all supplies. Thoughts? Thanks for all the help!!

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hydor on my nano and it works well. I have it hooked up to an aqualifter. It does glitch sometimes- maybe once or twice a month it beeps instead of turning the pump on, but unplugging it, waiting a second, and plugging it back in magically fix it. It was the best option for my price range.

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunzee ato all the way man. I have one set up on every system I have going at the moment. 3 total and never had an issue with them. A little pricey but worth every penny imo.

OP
OP
RMAS0934

RMAS0934

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob-the website is autotopoff.com
Derek- are you using the 3152 Nano? Do you have to clean the Tunzee more than other brands?

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the nanos i have the regular one. I think it is model number 3155. I have not had to clean them at all. No issues with them at all. Been on my systems since july of 2015.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Spectrapure UPLC-II for 8 trouble free years. I have replaced exactly one silicone peristaltic tube in all that time.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ is my vote. I have the JBJ and the Tunze Osmolator and never once had an issue with the traditional floats with the JBJ but frequently have issues with the Tunze. The stupid electric eye is very finicky and the biggest issue is it gets some growth on it and won't register when the water is low. This happens every 2-3 months. Not to mention the Tunze is 3x as much as the JBJ.

Bulletproof ATO probably isn't really out there but JBJ is as close as I have found.

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hydor on my nano and it works well. I have it hooked up to an aqualifter. It does glitch sometimes- maybe once or twice a month it beeps instead of turning the pump on, but unplugging it, waiting a second, and plugging it back in magically fix it. It was the best option for my price range.

Yeah. Me too. I had a tunze osmilator that went sour and bought the Hydor. Cheaper solution but I think the Tunze is quite a bit better. Comes down to budget and you get what you pay for.

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. Check out sellers forum. You can probably pick up a used one in good shape.

OP
OP
RMAS0934

RMAS0934

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I did see one member on our forum selling an ATO from auto top off dot com, but wasn't sure of their products...

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have heard good things about autoaqua smart ato. Although have never personally seen one in action. Curious if anybody has any experience with these.

Brewman1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a auto aqua smart ato, it is my first ato I have owned. So far I am really impressed with the unit and safety features it has. The only thing you need to do occasionally is clean the wet side of the optic sensor and sump glass. But I do that when I take care of my tank maintenance. It is very quiet and efficient, for such a small unit it packs a big punch and hasn't failed me yet.

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used Tunze ATOs on my tanks with great success. I have one in a 10g acrylic Synergy Reef ATO box with the sensor (and backup) in my skimmer section in my sump and the outflow tube from the pump connected to my overflow box on my main tank since my ATO box is higher than my sump.

ChrisAndJulie2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in.
This is our first ATO I've ever owned. We have the AquaSmart ATO, and I like it more then hate it. It gets annoying thou I will warn you as it likes to beep if it fills longer then 30 seconds before its last fill. *I think thats the time* It's so it doesn't overfill your tank, but I have my taking RODI from a 2.5 gallon jug. Anyway, I like it like I said above, it keeps my salinity a lot more stable, I was topping off every day when I got home from work.

Happy Reefing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back