Aussie local species tanks.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any aussies who have only locally collected stuff in their tanks?
When the 4fts up and running I'm considering making a local fish only tank and need some inspiration!
I'm thinking some baby flathead and some baby sweep or luderick or something. And a bunch of cold water nems :)

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got some Anemones red and green my black clowns love em ay

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for fish if you go snorkeling around the rock pools you will find much nicer fish than flatheads there are nice little puffers and wrasses and even cardinals and damsels every where and if you scoop a net under rocks when you lift them you will find some nice gobbys and dragonettes

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for fish if you go snorkeling around the rock pools you will find much nicer fish than flatheads there are nice little puffers and wrasses and even cardinals and damsels every where and if you scoop a net under rocks when you lift them you will find some nice gobbys and dragonettes

Toward the end of summer we get heaps of reef fish from qld. They come down in the current that nemos dad and dory ride to Sydney in finding nemo. Down merimbula way we get all sorts of wrasses, angels, bufferflys, damsels, clowns and heaps of cool stuff. The occasional Lionfish and angler too. Stuff you won't even find in shops.
In Sydney you'd get a lot more cool stuff. On my old tank thread on here I have a pic of some gobys that were caught locally. Awesome little guys. If I could have held my breathe just a few seconds longer I would have caught a keyhole angel in the weekend too.
A lot of the drab ugly fish down here look awesome in a tank, the public aquarium here is only locally caught fish. Absolutely amazing.
My fowlr used to be a native tank, but then I got a valentini and a snowflake eel lol.

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we get lots of reef fish I see em when I go spear fishing all the time question for ya on the eel thread

You said there is a fish safe eel how safe are they??

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra eels - gymnomuraena zebra - are supposedly fish safe. I've had a big one with medium sized fish and he was ok. Plenty of people keep them with smaller fish too. They generally eat inverts and cephalopods. As long as they're kept well fed they shouldn't go after tankmates. They're normally pretty docile and just hide in their den of some sort with their head out waiting for you to feed the tank.
Even though they're normally ok with fish I always told people who bought eels from the LFS I was at was to never trust an eel. They can go months or years without looking twice at a fish then all of a sudden fish can start disappearing. Once a moray has a grip on a fish, it's nearly impossible for the fish to get away.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are they?
Clowns can get pretty aggressive especially because you have an anemone with them so they should be fine. If anything they might be the bully's in the tank. A snowflake would be a good tankmate for them if you get it when it's still small.

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to build a 7ftx3ft monster tank so I wouldn't mind a morray I was in the Lfs the other day they had a nice little leopard shark too I just want want want you know how it is

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they'll be ok if you can get a baby snowflake. You can find them pretty easily around 15-20cm occasionally smaller. If you do get one, don't feed it live food because it'll get used to hunting and is much more likely to have a go at your clowns. The anemone should protect them pretty well though.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea I know that feeling. I found a QLD grouper in an LFS that was about 20cm long. I was soooo tempted to get. If I had a big enough thank I would have.
7x3 is crazy big. You could go to the harbour and get a wobbegong for it lol

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah or port Jackson ay I've always wanted a giant tank and I want to get into the fragging to make some extra cash cause I'm on disability cause I had a bad motorbike accident and can't work so maybe I can be Australia's version of wwc or unique corals those guys look like they make a fare bit cash over there I got plenty of time to look after the tank so I'm gonna go for if maybe have my own Lfs one day lol

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or both :)
That sucks heaps, hopefully you'll get back to normal soon aye.
Yea that'd be awesome, especially if you had some US connections to get some stuff not available here.

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a guy in Sydney who only exports to the states but he lets a few guys here buy stuff so I'm going next weekend to see what he's got

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest thing is finding those one in a million pieces that no ones got ay there is heaps of the common colours but those hot pieces are really hard to come by as you know

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats true, but you only need a few nice pieces to frag and a few more common ones for a decent back shed type set up. Until the nicer pieces become a bit more common anyway.
I'd travel to Sydney to buy from a good backyard frag guy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back