Auto water change REALLY?

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump head pushing fresh mix salt water back to the sump got clogged. The pump pulling waste water from the sump was fine... and the ATO system did what it was designed to do, keep the sump full.

Salinity was 1.014 when I noticed. Was not a big deal, but it could have been a disaster.

Until Apex comes out with a RELIABLE salinity probe, I'll stick with manual water changes... and NO the current Apex salinity probe is NOT what I would call reliable.
Did you mix the new saltwater in the container it pulled from?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of salt mix? This might be a case for using a cleaner mixing brand for awc. I used instant ocean for awc but it did heavy cake, I have used TMP for years with no residue now but I didn’t think about it clogging

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mix the new saltwater in the container it pulled from?
Yes... Tropic Marin salt, mixed WELL with a 1900gph mixing pump for a day before the DOS line was put in place. There is no residue in the barrel, never has been.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... Tropic Marin salt, mixed WELL with a 1900gph mixing pump for a day before the DOS line was put in place. There is no residue in the barrel, never has been.
Fascinating.

I mix my salt in a separate barrel and transfer it to the SW water change reservoir after it's been mixed. I use IO (which is notorious for buildup), but haven't seen any build up in my lines since I started in October 2019.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder why the clog formed, or how if using TMP. That stinks, bad luck for sure.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this question...

In my view, the more we automate our tanks, the less in touch we are with them. The "set it and forget it approach" has the potential to be devastating to the tank as the early, subtle indicators to big problems go unnoticed until its too late.

There is a place for automation in the hobby. Lighting through automation to recreate the natural environment is an example. And can you imaging if you had to manually turn your heater on and off?

So yes, I think there is a place for automation in the hobby, but I think there should be limits.

FWIW, I am in complete agreement with you. I think a new reefer should take at least the first year to learn his or her tank .... learn to recognize the sometimes subtle signs that something may be amiss. Then be mindful of the pros and cons of hobby grade automation. I have ‘invested’ in more modules than most folks here on R2R (maybe more than all), yet it is mostly for monitoring and alerting. Where I do use control, it is in places where I retain some level of external (to apex) redundancy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump head pushing fresh mix salt water back to the sump got clogged. The pump pulling waste water from the sump was fine... and the ATO system did what it was designed to do, keep the sump full.

Salinity was 1.014 when I noticed. Was not a big deal, but it could have been a disaster.

Until Apex comes out with a RELIABLE salinity probe, I'll stick with manual water changes... and NO the current Apex salinity probe is NOT what I would call reliable.

Had the same thing happen when cleaning out my mixing barrel. Grey residue plugged up the hose barb on the new water side of the DOS. Apex salinity probe may not be awesome but it is directionally good enough to catch something like that. In my case the DOS head made a funny noise so I noticed it right away.

OP
OP
Heabel7

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I look at water changes as a complete package that includes everything else. It’s always the way I have done it and seen/heard reefers doing. Possibly with how easy it is to do auto water changes now that is the past way of doing it.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to keep an eye out on my DOS heads more closely then!

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC is just another automated task. When I have to get into the tank to feed or clean I just shut of the pumps and such and do it, don't have to then worry about the water change itself. I guess it could lead to laziness but then again there are people who don't do water changes, so not sure it matters if that is how you roll.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m one of those people who sarcastically posted it takes me 3 seconds for water change cause that’s how long I press my button for connected to breakout box and apex. I see you question blowing rocks off with turkey baster well to respond to that again takes me 0 seconds because I have programmed my apex to put my mp40 into nutrient transport mode 2x a day at 80% when normally run at 30% and this blows off my rocks and stir up all detritus. IMO my method is much more effective as you only blow rocks on days you do water chan I do it 2x a day.
Another win for having a controller

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m one of those people who sarcastically posted it takes me 3 seconds for water change cause that’s how long I press my button for connected to breakout box and apex. I see you question blowing rocks off with turkey baster well to respond to that again takes me 0 seconds because I have programmed my apex to put my mp40 into nutrient transport mode 2x a day at 80% when normally run at 30% and this blows off my rocks and stir up all detritus. IMO my method is much more effective as you only blow rocks on days you do water chan I do it 2x a day.
Another win for having a controller

I understand what you are saying and mostly applaud your thinking. My concern would be the possibility of injuring my fish.

Shelley

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this question...

In my view, the more we automate our tanks, the less in touch we are with them. The "set it and forget it approach" has the potential to be devastating to the tank as the early, subtle indicators to big problems go unnoticed until its too late.

There is a place for automation in the hobby. Lighting through automation to recreate the natural environment is an example. And can you imaging if you had to manually turn your heater on and off?

So yes, I think there is a place for automation in the hobby, but I think there should be limits.

i love my apex and my auto water changing It provides. I have never had to blow off my rocks because I have no sand. my detritus ends up in sump socks when I max out flow for 15 minutes. I love working on my tank and respect what your saying, but I guess it just depends on the person. You can definitely get lulled in a false sense of security with automation. However, what I do To try to avoid that Pitfall is substitute the extra time it would take to do water changes, with Religious testing of nitrates phosphates double checking my apex trident numbers. Tweaking this or that in a constant battle to keep everything as stable as possible. As we all do.
I am getting to my point lol. As I have seen this hobby change over many years, new things some good some bad have led to us keeping difficult corals alive that at one time was thought to be impossible. Auto dosers, water changer and ATO’s all can be extremely valuable tools, but they are not in my view, set it and forget it! but valuable tools that need to be monitored and checked just like amy other piece of equipment.

it took me a while to jump on board especially with-auto dosing. relying on a machine to dose my tank .....no way lol. But I eventually came around and now I love it.

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said, I do once a month blow off my rocks, clean all my PH's and vacuum out my sandbed. While vacuuming my sandbed I simply place a filter sock in my sump and put the other end of my hose in the sock. It takes no water out of the tank, and I can do the entire sandbed in one go without having to replace any water.

boom.gif

That's brilliant.

--Gray

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the purpose of the water change is detritus removal. I otherwise notice no difference before and after the water change. I keep my other tank parameters stable, and could probably get away without doing water changes. But having been down that road 10 years ago with disastrous results, I have decided to make water changes part of my routine. So I agree with the OP in that I would see an AWC as more un-necessary than useful, without the detritus removal. One of the reasons I have a 150 gallon sump is so that no matter my water flow, the sump is never turbulent enough that detritus can't settle. I see it as my dropout box, and part of it's purpose is to allow a place for detritus to settle, making it easy to siphon out. When the bottom of my sump gets covered it light brown sludge, that's my visual clue that it's time for a water change.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are saying and mostly applaud your thinking. My concern would be the possibility of injuring my fish.

Shelley
I did think of that as I have small mandarin so I plan them during daytime when most fish active and mandarin are hiding in the rocks and won’t get sucked up threw power head accidentally.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DOS for my AWC, for 2 gallons a day. I use 2 5-gallon jugs: one full of fresh saltwater & one empty for old saltwater. Every 2 days, I exchange the fresh jug & dump the old/waste jug. It is easy to see if one of the pumps isn't working correctly by the water levels in the 2 jugs. Checking salinity once a week let's me know if I need to recalibrate the DOS.

OP
OP
Heabel7

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHO HAS GOT THE DATA?

Daily 2% water changes vs larger 10-20% water changes weekly or bi weekly. How do each maintain trace elements? I would also like to know how it reduces the bad but that is heavily dependent to n how much you add.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve set up a AWC system on my new tank and have a 25 micron pool filter I built to polish the water. if I need to I can charge with diatomaceous earth and filter down to 2 microns. Although the pool filter is huge and there are smaller options I couldn’t resist the price. One of the returns has a line on it so I can blast the rock work. Solved the Dino/Cyno issues this new tank had overnight.

9483C29C-2CAB-4575-B00E-49A0E6A50896.jpeg 2C84FC98-06C9-4960-BD69-8E99F9631386.jpeg

Back