Autowater changes, salinity creep, and pump calibration

newreeferontheblock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks -

TLDR: Pumps I am using for AWC drift out of calibration which messes with my salinity. Are others having this problem and how have you solved?

Full version:
In November/December of last year I set up AWC on my 20 g nano; my set up is as follows:
- The tank is on the first floor of my home, about 4 feet off the ground
- Almost directly below that in the basement is a Brute trash can with replacement saltwater that I make fresh ~monthly as well as a slop sink (total elevation gain to the tank is probably ~15 feet)
- I have two of these (INTLLAB Peristaltic Liquid Pump) on wifi plugs to turn off and on at the appropriate time. I calibrated them to match (when I first calibrated the fill needed to run ~1 minute longer than the drain)

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I went to recheck the calibration on my AWC after I had noticed a few weeks of dropping salinity and found that it is pumping in at about 1/3rd the speed it was before (while the drain had stayed relatively similar to what it was). I replaced the tubing in the stepper motor, which improved the speed back up to better than where it was when I first calibrated, and went off to the races. Today (about 3 weeks later), I am noticing my salinity dropping again and this thing is back out of calibration (though not as bad as before).

How have other people solved this? Will a level gauge be sensitive enough to make sure the in and out match? What about a flow meter? Is this pump just crappy?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pumps that stay in calibration better would be a start.

My AWC pumps(DOS) rarely fall out of calibration enough to make a difference. I do check them about every other month, and they are 9 times out of 10 in calibration. I do change the pump heads semi annual.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I don't use Peristaltic pump for water change.
Pump calibration is necessary for stable parameters. auto aqua AWC is now my favorite AWC device, no pump calibration is needed. thanks god.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back