AWC System + Long Run of pipe = problems with DOS leaking

Drew Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am attempting to get an AWC system set up for my 200 gallon system. The lone snag is that my DOS leaks. It is modified with John Guest push connect fittings. However it appears to only be on the "out" side. And only leaks when it is connected to the 50 foot section of hose. I tested it with a 10 foot push. That is no problem, no leak.

I have my saltwater reservoir outside. it is about a 50 foot run of 1/4" RO tubing away from the tank. Flat ground. Single story house. Goes through the wall about 1 foot above ground level. So no "head pressure". But a lot of resistance from the RO tubing.

The DOS is located in the water change shed. It can suction from the tank 50' to a bucket. No leaks. However, the NSW side pushing 50' to the tank leaks a drip per head revolution. No good.

The leak appears to be from above the John Guest push connect fitting. Like inside the peristaltic head itself. I am wondering if the pressure is so much that the little zip tie that holds the peristaltic tube to the grey plastic fitting is not strong/ tight enough?

For the push connect modification: I sawed off the nipple on the DOS head. Used Rector seal PTFE teflon paste. A fairly good couple dabs. Screwed on the John Guest fittings.

And by the way, all parts are brand new, never used until this. So there should be no wear etc.

I am at my wits end with this DOS. I am looking at just going Stenner Dual head. Or Masterflex. I have been in the hobby for over a decade and done a lot of plumbing. However, this is really perplexing.

To me it seems as though the DOS cannot do this much head pressure. Has anyone do this long of a run or more? And how?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m all to familiar with this kind of plumbing complexity. I suspect that the problem is specific to your situation (defective part) and even though it is a new assembly something in the works is not working properly. Get a replacement (unit, part, fitting???) and pray that the defect is not found in all the other pieces that are being manufactured.

Plumbing fixtures are parts are the sources of many problems that should never occur but routinely do, and the leaks really Pismeoff, good luck.
uh oh bathroom GIF

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50’ of 1/4” is a lot to push against. Might have to go with 3/8” tubing.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take the cover off the leaking DOS and inspect the tube?
My cover was very sharp and sliced the tube after awhile with it rubbing on it.
I bought new tubing from US Plastics.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
50’ of 1/4” is a lot to push against. Might have to go with 3/8” tubing.

I run around that length from my garage, up through my attic and then back down to my tank no problem.

I tried the push adaptors and had issues with sucking in air/leaking. I use the original fitting/connectors and then just force the 1/4 ro lines over it. It works wayyy better. A little less convenient but more reliable.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the push adaptors and had issues with sucking in air/leaking. I use the original fitting/connectors and then just force the 1/4 ro lines over it. It works wayyy better. A little less convenient but more reliable.

Same problem here, tried the push-fit connectors and they leaked. Bought new heads and new fittings, just pushed the RO/DI line onto the original connectors, tightened the nut, and I haven't had a single leak in 8 or so years.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back