Back in the hobby after a 10+ year absence...need some refreshing...

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby and to R2R! I think @NeedAReef summed things up nicely. There are a lot of newer mfgs that are making quality products and a few of the old ones still around that still make quality products. I would say if anything there are fewer 'junk' products than there were twenty or thirty years ago.

Specific recommendations? Salt is salt, there are lots of good ones. Just pick one that closely matches your preferred target for dKH, calcium and magnesium. Pumps, again a lot of good ones EcoTech, AI, Sicce, and of course Tunze. RODI is still very much a thing. I'm not big on skimmers so I can't give a good recommendation based on experience but I currently use a small Tunze one. I don't use a controller. I'm not really a fan of micro-managing my tank. There have been a lot of new heaters introduced in the last few years. I would say that enthusiasm for the old style breakable-glass heater is waning. Good luck and put up a build thread. You will get lots of advice as we journey with you.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
marillion

marillion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. The more I've looked at equipment and such for the tank I picked out, the more sticker shock I got. I just don't want to dump $3k+ into the setup before there's any livestock. Lol. So, I'm pivoting to the Red Sea Max Nano XL G2. I ordered it today and will create a build thread when I get it humming.

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back, Chip. And right there with you. It has been several years since I had an operating tank as well. When I got out of the hobby I "sold" my 24G cube and a garage full of stuff to a local 15 yr-old guy new in the hobby. He and his sister somehow managed to fit it all in the SUV and drive away. So coming back in fresh this year -- still in planning stages for things I will build myself (tank, stand, LED light), but going to pay for the mechanical items (like skimmer, and a nice one). Still at dreaming and sketching stage at the moment, but about ready to head forward with it.

-Scott

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.1%
Back