Backup Return Pump Suggestion

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 100.3, and I’m using a Neptune Systems COR-15 (1,500 gph) as my return pump. I’d like to pick up another pump to use as a backup during a failure or cleanings. I’d also like to use it to mix saltwater for water-changes as well as refill the drained water during that maintenance.

Since I have a COR-15, should I pick up a second so that swapping them out is simple, or should I get a different pump, such as a Sicce 3.0, which is nearly half of the price?

I’m running only 250 gph through my return, which my flow sensor indicates, so I don’t need something with a lot of power. However, the conveniences of the COR-15 would be nice. For example, I planned to use the included 1.25” connection to attach a 90° elbow so that I can drop it into my Brute can when I mix saltwater next to the tank. Then, I would use the 3/4” connection to attach a hose and barb so that I could easily pump that water into the display. Simply switching out the output connection would allow the pump to pull double duty during water-changes and serve as an identical backup during maintenance/failure events.

I’m torn, so I’d love your help.

Thank you!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pick up another COR15 this way if something ever happened when your away it would be that much easier to walk someone through the change, otherwise with say the sicce 3.0 you would need to make a adapter as the output sizes are different and it would make things that much more complex.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pick up another COR15 this way if something ever happened when your away it would be that much easier to walk someone through the change, otherwise with say the sicce 3.0 you would need to make a adapter as the output sizes are different and it would make things that much more complex.
Well, the Sicce 3.0 comes with a couple of adapters, which measure 3/4” and 1”, so it would just take pulling the tube from the barb of the COR-15 and slipping it over the 3/4” barb fitting that comes with the Sicce before putting on the 3/4” hose clamp.

With the Sicce, there would be no difference between the connection of the COR-15 since the return is soft-plumbed with a 3/4” hose and both pumps use a 3/4” barb.

Saving the extra cash would be nice, but I also like the conveniences and identical properties of the COR-15.

The struggle is real.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I missed that it was soft plumbed. Then the sicce would be a cheaper option and still a quality pump.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 63 51.6%
  • NO

Votes: 41 33.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back