Bacteria utilization

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the never ending quest to solve my SPS problem, I’m wondering if there’s a condition in which corals aren’t able to utilize bacteria in our systems.

I can not keep any sps corals. Countless frags over the course of a couple of years and two tanks end up with the same result. Bleaching from the base AND tips. Same with the encrusting types. I have ensured that my parameters are stable and within recommended ranges, including PAR

Some people strive to see growth from their sps. I’d like to see mine not die. LPS corals that I have are living but not growing.

But back to the question. Is there a condition that would prevent corals from utilizing bacteria. It seems that I have everything in place to promote a healthy environment for corals but in reality, it’s just the opposite.

I’m determined to make this work

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the never ending quest to solve my SPS problem, I’m wondering if there’s a condition in which corals aren’t able to utilize bacteria in our systems.

I can not keep any sps corals. Countless frags over the course of a couple of years and two tanks end up with the same result. Bleaching from the base AND tips. Same with the encrusting types. I have ensured that my parameters are stable and within recommended ranges, including PAR

Some people strive to see growth from their sps. I’d like to see mine not die. LPS corals that I have are living but not growing.

But back to the question. Is there a condition that would prevent corals from utilizing bacteria. It seems that I have everything in place to promote a healthy environment for corals but in reality, it’s just the opposite.

That's a very complex subject when discussing the coral holobiont! It does seem highly unusual that you can't seem to grow Ang corals. I assume temperature is fine and there are no toxins or heavy metals possible, right? What rich did you start with? If it was dry I'd say add bacterial products like Nitribiotic, PNS Probio, and Reef Actif. However, The much better way to go would be live ocean rock asbit has the natural microbiome already growing around it as it has been for who knows how many years. Try to get the absolute best, most natural ocean rock possible and not go the cheaper route. I think this will help tremendously!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like STN with some of them and I assume they're Acros? Where do you source your corals from? I wouldn't assume they're wild collected, are they?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How confident are you that the correct conditions exist in your system for coral growth?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have abundant coralline growth in the tank? This is a good indicator for the health of the tank to support SPS corals.

What is your top tank par? Recent ICP test? How do you maintain consistency with alk and cal?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
including PAR

that's the first thing to change if you want a different result

lots of par burns going on, nobody sets max par to alk levels/few can actually know their alk levels using the type of kits they have/so many variables and the upper end is always sought= sunburn, bleaching.

there are other things nonbacterial we can do too

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very complex subject when discussing the coral holobiont! It does seem highly unusual that you can't seem to grow Ang corals. I assume temperature is fine and there are no toxins or heavy metals possible, right? What rich did you start with? If it was dry I'd say add bacterial products like Nitribiotic, PNS Probio, and Reef Actif. However, The much better way to go would be live ocean rock asbit has the natural microbiome already growing around it as it has been for who knows how many years. Try to get the absolute best, most natural ocean rock possible and not go the cheaper route. I think this will help tremendously!
Yeah I started with Carib sea life rock and have been regularly dosing MB7 and MB clean from the beginning. Also coral snow every weekend. I’ve also done a round of PNS pro bio.
Having said that, I did just receive some gulf LR just yesterday and it’s cycling in a brute can. Maybe this next week I’ll check an ammonia and see how it’s coming along.

Additionally, I ordered AF life source this AM so will be starting that soon

Yes temp is at 77° and I’m sending out ICP and Aqua biomics tests as soon as I get the kits in the mail

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I started with Carib sea life rock and have been regularly dosing MB7 and MB clean from the beginning. Also coral snow every weekend. I’ve also done a round of PNS pro bio.
Having said that, I did just receive some gulf LR just yesterday and it’s cycling in a brute can. Maybe this next week I’ll check an ammonia and see how it’s coming along.

Additionally, I ordered AF life source this AM so will be starting that soon

Yes temp is at 77° and I’m sending out ICP and Aqua biomics tests as soon as I get the kits in the mail
If it's a small tank I'd just restart with all live ocean rock and I'm not sure if curing is necessary or not. I guess it depends on how the shipped it.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like STN with some of them and I assume they're Acros? Where do you source your corals from? I wouldn't assume they're wild collected, are they?
Yes I agree. Looks like STN. I’ve had corals from WWC, Tidal Gardens, and local swaps. They all end up the same. Acros, montis, leptoseris, cyphastrea, style, psammacora. You name it. I’ve killed it

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree. Looks like STN. I’ve had corals from WWC, Tidal Gardens, and local swaps. They all end up the same. Acros, montis, leptoseris, cyphastrea, style, psammacora. You name it. I’ve killed it
Wait...perhaps you used some sort of miracle mud from the Caribbean? If so, maybe it contained pathogens or viruses...

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a small tank I'd just restart with all live ocean rock and I'm not sure if curing is necessary or not. I guess it depends on how the shipped it.
It’s a 150g and I will be replacing a 24” arch. I purchased 20 lbs of gulf rock, but shouldn’t that seed the remaining rocks in my tank?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 150g and I will be replacing a 24” arch. I purchased 20 lbs of gulf rock, but shouldn’t that seed the remaining rocks in my tank?
Yes, that's pretty large...did you use any natural products like mud which may have had pathogens or viruses in it? I've heard of cases such as that....

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's pretty large...did you use any natural products like mud which may have had pathogens or viruses in it? I've heard of cases such as that....
No I haven’t

But that’s where my mind is at this point. There has to be something in the water.
I’m on a well and my water is ran through a water softener and a 4 stage RODI. I’ll be running an ICP on my RODI water as well

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big believer in Aqiabiomics but for this case I'd send in a sample because it is bad.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back