Bagbos Dream Miracles Build - powered by Sfiligoi - Updated 2/8!

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Are you planning on using hydraulic cement for the rock work?

I'm going to use most of the existing rock from my current 150g tank. I will be adding some - nothing special, just some fully cured larger pieces from a LFS.

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here is a mockup of the stand. I take ZERO credit for this stand. While I did the mockup in Google sketch, Andrew came up with the concept. While it will not look exactly like this, it's a pretty good rendition.

TankandStand1.jpg

The light is not proportional in the drawing, it's simply for reference. The closest side (short side on left) will be visible as soon as you walk in our front door. The stand will be "tiled" in a Tahitian Pebble. The wife and I have been there a few times and we found it fitting. The pebbles are various shades of grays, black, and various deep shades of red that are hardly visible. It will be grouted with a light gray grout. Not sure whether we will use "enhancer" on the finished product or not.

There will be 3 panels. Two on the long sides and one in the back (to access bulkheads and such). There will be a sectional couch that backs up to the far side in the pic. So only the tank will be visible from the far side of the tank - almost as if it's floating. The near panel will contain a "control panel". Behind it will house (flush-mounted) Vortech controllers, Apex head unit, etc. There will also be room for storage for towels, fish supplies, etc from the front panel. The panels will be 3/4" plywood wrapped in a brushed nickel metal sheet (at least that's the plan at this point). It will hang from a hanger on the top and will have magnets at the bottom to hold it in place. But the goal is to be able to pull it off easily.

You will notice a thick gray "mantle" just under the tank. The initial goal was to do a concrete form for the tank to sit on. After many attempts it's proving to be way more difficult than anticipated. We will likely just use a stain grade piece of 3/4" plywood on top with a very small piece of trim. The stand will have a bit of a "floating" look to it as there will be a good 3-4" overhang at the bottom. Thought about some LED's underneath but the wife is unsure of that.

Most of the stand is built. I'm out of town right now but will post pics later in the week. Hope to have the stand tiled by the weekend. I have run electrical into the stand, drilled through the floor, and reinforcing the floor will happen later in the week.

The tank will weigh 700lbs without water! Still not sure how we'll get it in the house but we'll figure it out! lol

Last edited:

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig, that is an awesome looking set up! I was going to offer to come up and you tile the stand but it sounds like you will have it done by the time I could get up there. What type of grout are you planning to use? I would recommend an epoxy grout. Not sure if you are familiar with it or not. But I am a tile guy so if you would need any help at all with that part of the project I am just aquick PM and road trip away! Again, that is going to be an awesome system!

Dave

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig, that is an awesome looking set up! I was going to offer to come up and you tile the stand but it sounds like you will have it done by the time I could get up there. What type of grout are you planning to use? I would recommend an epoxy grout. Not sure if you are familiar with it or not. But I am a tile guy so if you would need any help at all with that part of the project I am just aquick PM and road trip away! Again, that is going to be an awesome system!

Dave

Dave, very cool of you to offer bud. My buddy Andrew is not a tile pro but he has done most of the tile in his home and he is as OCD as I am. Not sure about the grout but will look into the epoxy grout. What are the advantages of that over typical grout (just curious). The tricky part will be the corners. There are no "corner" pieces with the pebbles so we will be doing to the corners pebble by pebble. I may hit you up if we run into any problems. Again, your offer is greatly appreciated and I may lean on you a bit if we need to!

Thanks!!

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig, it would truely be an honor to help you out in any way that i can. Doing the pebbles and making them "wrap the corners will be a bit tricky. I've done a few projects with them (backsplaseses and vanity tops with the edges done). You just have to take your time and carefully select the right pieces so they fit well and look right. As far as the epoxy grout goes I use Laticeretes Specrtraloc. It is very stain resistant and almost non poruos. It also never needs to be sealed. For your application it would mean that you wouldnt have to about any spills or salt creep staining the grout. Also since it is relatively non-porous you don't have to worry about it "growing" things like bacterial type critters. It also has micro ban in it. Any of the cement type grouts will be porous and require periodic sealing. I always use the epoxy grout in wet areas sucha as showers and backsplashes for the same reasons listed above. Also less chance of it fading or washing out over time because it is not a dyed product. If you decide to go with it let me know as i can get wholesale and would be glad to put it in for you if you and Andrew are not comfortable with it.

Dave

BayCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this was what you were talking about. Very nice!!! Can't wait to see everything setup. I have the perfect chalice for you to put right in the middle of this show tank......:)...You know what I'm talking about.

Hung

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! The stand is very unique, one of a kind and the tank is perfect size. I can't wait to see it up and running. I wish I can upgrade to a bigger tank.

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments everyone. I really appreciate it. I have rec'd a few pm's asking why I decided on an internal overflow. This tank will be a room divider and the overflow side of the tank will be slightly visible from our dining room. I did not want to look at PVC pipes on that side of the tank as that would have been an eye sore. So I decided on the internal overflow. The overflow will be very simple. 2 1/2" drain and 1 1/2" return. I do not keep snails or hermits so the fear of a clog is not really an issue. I didn't feel the need to have 2 returns. I've never had 2 before, so I am not changing what has worked well.

I currently use a BRS Dual reactor for carbon and GFO. It's pretty worn out and would be an under-performer for this amount of water anyway. I have a manifold that comes off of my Reeflo Hammerhead. I have spots to feed two new reactors. I went with a couple of NextReef MR-1 reactors - 1 for carbon (Rox from BRS) and RowaPhos in the other.

NX1111_1.jpg

I upgraded from the Royal Exclusiv Alpha Cone 250 to the 300. I LOVE this skimmer. It will handle everything I am planning and then some. The main difference (other than the size) is that the 300 has 2 Red Dragon pumps instead of 1. The skimmer is very quiet and is a breeze to clean.

Alpha3001.jpg

Last edited:

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following this one!!! Great start and good luck!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 89 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back