Bamboo cat shark suddenly stopped eating

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bamboo shark about a year ago. The guy has been super happy and healthy the past year. Eats like machine and has his little cave that he loves to chill out in.
The last 2 days he suddenly stopped eating and stays out of his cave even when the lights are on. He moves from time to time but he is just acting weird.
All my levels are perfect and is currently in a 125 that will be a 180 soon.
Can somebody please help me out. I’m getting really worried about my guy.
(his color has been grayish his entire life)

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing Addiction is bumping your post to keep it near the top of the new posts so more people will see it.
Gotcha. Thank you for explaining. I’m really worried about my shark. I really hope he is okay he didn’t eat tonight again.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but maybe it's breeding behavior?

Accord to https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Scyliorhinus_retifer/ breeding season is near late winter early spring. No clue what mechanisms they use to determine so

Your best bet would to call your nearest aquarium and see if they have a vet on staff who could assist as that's pretty exotic even for r2r

If you are comfortable handling him I would research how to get him on his back and check for an anal blockage

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but maybe it's breeding behavior?

Accord to https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Scyliorhinus_retifer/ breeding season is near late winter early spring. No clue what mechanisms they use to determine so

Your best bet would to call your nearest aquarium and see if they have a vet on staff who could assist as that's pretty exotic even for r2r

If you are comfortable handling him I would research how to get him on his back and check for an anal blockage
I was planning to call somewhere like that tomorrow. He is super chill with he held and stuff like that he’s just been acting super weird lately.
I did check his stomach the other day for red dots but all clear but I’ll check for blockage as well though!
I really hope it’s just something with breeding season!!!

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Thank you for explaining. I’m really worried about my shark. I really hope he is okay he didn’t eat tonight again.
You are welcome. I wish that I could help you out, but I know nothing about sharks. Hopefully others will be up soon to help you out. Here is another bump. Good Luck!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bamboo shark about a year ago. The guy has been super happy and healthy the past year. Eats like machine and has his little cave that he loves to chill out in.
The last 2 days he suddenly stopped eating and stays out of his cave even when the lights are on. He moves from time to time but he is just acting weird.
All my levels are perfect and is currently in a 125 that will be a 180 soon.
Can somebody please help me out. I’m getting really worried about my guy.
(his color has been grayish his entire life)

image.jpg image.jpg

Two things come to mind - the skin of this sharks looks a little "off" - kind of blotchy with tiny spots. That can be a sign of skin issues. Then, this species often develops goiter in captivity. The symptom of that is a swelling under the jaw (I cant see that area in these two photos though).

Can you post a video so that I can measure its respiration rate as well as get a view of its lower jaw?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably something to do with being crammed in a small tank.

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things come to mind - the skin of this sharks looks a little "off" - kind of blotchy with tiny spots. That can be a sign of skin issues. Then, this species often develops goiter in captivity. The symptom of that is a swelling under the jaw (I cant see that area in these two photos though).

Can you post a video so that I can measure its respiration rate as well as get a view of its lower jaw?
I’ll post pictures now. Is there any cure?

Attachments

• AA40D000-1FB9-4E91-B893-5B3EE8D36D55.jpeg
    AA40D000-1FB9-4E91-B893-5B3EE8D36D55.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 26
  • C63D3A3A-E6C1-49E8-937D-75A41177E585.jpeg
    C63D3A3A-E6C1-49E8-937D-75A41177E585.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please ignore my eel. These 2 are almost inseparable for some reason. They travel together and lay on top of eachother lol.

Attachments

• 73411576715__26940AD1-AC6C-4C3D-BC16-F9C7FD53EA52.MOV
    2 MB
OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let me know if the video I posted works as well as the pics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if the video I posted works as well as the pics
The shark doesn’t have goiter. However, it is breathing too fast and too deeply.

While people are saying the tank is too small, I don’t think that is the issue (yet). You reported the shark went suddenly off feed. That is a symptom of an acute problem, not a chronic issue like the fish gradually growing too large for your tank.

I think the skin discoloration and the rapid breathing is a symptom of some infection…however, those aren’t enough clues to tell me what the cause might be.

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shark doesn’t have goiter. However, it is breathing too fast and too deeply.

While people are saying the tank is too small, I don’t think that is the issue (yet). You reported the shark went suddenly off feed. That is a symptom of an acute problem, not a chronic issue like the fish gradually growing too large for your tank.

I think the skin discoloration and the rapid breathing is a symptom of some infection…however, those aren’t enough clues to tell me what the cause might be.
I’m going to be bring him to a new home that can better take care of him. We were able to boil it down to being metals in my water.
I’m just not equipped to be taking care of him unfortunately. It’s sucks cause I really love the shark but I would rather see him live a happy healthy life then be unhappy in his current home

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back