Bang for buck SPS Lighting 80 gallon

mortician

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,

I got a new tank that is approx 46x19x19 rimless tank. I would like to eventually grow acros in the tanks. I will also want some LPS and zoas towards the bottom. I am wondering what people recommend for best bang for buck lighting to accomplish this SPS dominant setup.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for viparspectra or T5 hybrid systems with LEDs. I'm open to any setup even all T5 but I am wanting input in how many and what size for any recommendations.

Thank you!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say pick a budget and then see what your options are. With lighting people have success with the "black boxes" to Radions and beyond.
Also, know what the lighting demands are for the SPS you want to keep. Not all SPS are the same when it comes to lighting.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6x T5 if you use them alone. 3 or 4 LED panels that cover 24x24 area if you want to use them alone - they don't actually cover that much. 2 or 3 LED panels with 2 to 4 T5s if you want a hybrid.

That is a good place to start. Assume half the coverage area that the LED manufacturer tells you when SPS start to grow and shadows become a real thing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back