Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is awesome Ronnie got me using it and it works great,Iv tried 3 other dips and bayer is the best imo.I recently tried coral rx because I had some store credit at my lfs so figured id try it out and it works well to but ill be using bayer again when this bottle of coral rx is finished.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s4

Last edited:

dcsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chris L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the right stuff. After doing it a few times. I have been using 10ml in 4oz for 10 mins and then shake it in clean aquarium water in a cup and then put it in another cup of tank water for 5 mins. I haven't lost anything yet.

From what i know this sounds like a very strong concentration. Generally the concentration is 5-10 ml per cup.

I just dipped my red dragon in 5ml/cup for 8 minutes. Looks like it destroyed the red bugs.
asu5u3y9.jpg

dcsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i know this sounds like a very strong concentration. Generally the concentration is 5-10 ml per cup.

I just dipped my red dragon in 5ml/cup for 8 minutes. Looks like it destroyed the red bugs.
asu5u3y9.jpg

It is strong but it's what I first used because that's what the instructions were that was given to me. It had worked every time without killing the coral. But if less works for you I say go for it.

dcsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dipped, mushrooms, LPS, zoas, and softies without any problem and many people here have done SPS but I have not. I don't know of any myself that you couldn't dip.

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer works very well. Have been using it for about 7 months. If there is pest on your frag. They will end up in the cup.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think bayer would work on a dying elegance? Or better I have like 15 elegance corals that are all dying? Just elegance corals, they were all doing good and all started dying at the se time??

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer works great to kill off pests, it doesn't work as a therapeutic dip. What you might need is an antibacterial dip, but it could be a lot of issues causing the elegances' problems, so we can't know for sure.

Have you had the elegances for awhile? Did you recently get a new one in?

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is in my tank, one in a customers tank and the rest at my LFS. They where all fine for about a month, than all went funny? In different tanks, in different homes?
mine, my buddies,,, all?!?! Started showing the same symptoms at the same time

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys use a lot. I use 10ml in a bowl of water (over a liter of water), and that is all that's needed to quickly remove AEFW's. Minimal coral stress.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe around 15mins turkey basting a few times. My buddy did his whole tank in a strength similar to this (maybe a little weaker). It got them all off

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a pathogen carried by Indonesian elegance corals that kills them...if any of those elegance corals were exposed to it then they will all die. Even worse, once it is in the tank it seems it never gets out and any new elegance will die.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a pathogen carried by Indonesian elegance corals that kills them...if any of those elegance corals were exposed to it then they will all die. Even worse, once it is in the tank it seems it never gets out and any new elegance will die.

Is this happening to you? If that's the case :(
I'll have to give it another try.
The most I came up with was ECS ( elegance coral syndrome )

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this happening to you? If that's the case :(
I'll have to give it another try.
The most I came up with was ECS ( elegance coral syndrome )

No, my coral beauty killed my first elegance and my second is doing good. My first one was huge, neon green with pink tips, and my clowns hosted in it. My "newer" elegance is only about three inches and it's blue with yellow tips but not as bright as my old one.

Some tips on elegance, they benefit from occasional feeding, don't need a ton of flow, don't mind light( they don't need to be shaded), they MUST be kept in sand away from rockwork. Rockwork damages the flesh of the coral, and this damage is often fatal. They don't really have known pests other than coral munching fish. I feed mine once a month some pieces gulf shrimp, but used to feed it more and it did better. Cleaner and peppermint shrimp need their own piece of shrimp when feeding it though, as they will steal the corals if they don't have their own piece.

Last edited:

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like elegance coral disease. Nasty, I got it on a new indo elegance, and it took out my other elegance, a practically bulletproof one that's been kept in tanks for 20 years now.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back