bean animals dead silent failsafe overflow......

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
okay makes sense can you 45 the drains or do they have to be straight?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup 45s or 90 work, just try to keep them to a minimum... i either use two 45's or a single 90 when i plumb them... from reading numerous articles they seem to have the same restriction on flow so either would work but two 45s seem to be more flexible since i can angle it over to the left more if need be....hth...;)
even two 90s are gonna work fine, it's just another part of me being anal i try to design my plumbing with the most efficant flow and least restrictions so my pumps run cooler and use less energy....

MadMax

MARINE AQUARIUM EXPO
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference is that the primary overflow is a siphon, no noise, no air entrainment, just water. The second is a standard overflow with an air vent, but it has a very light load so that the flow is low and hence it won't suck air into the water stream and therefore will be silent too. The third is an emergency backup, normally not in use.

Looks to me that the trick is adjusting the siphon overflow so that the second overflow only has a slight flow.

I don't believe this is the case...
Closer inspection shows that the middle overflow is the lowest mounted and hence must be the primary overflow. If counting from left to right, overflow #1 would be the trickle overflow and overflow #2 would be the primary one carrying the highest capacity of water of the three.

montipora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this system on my 120 and love it! Once you get it tuned in right it works like a champ the fans on my lights are louder than the whole system now I just new a silent fan system LOL. I'll try and post pics tomorrow guys of all I did to it.

fbodykiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible to use this type plumbing inside the tank of an overflow? i am about to pull the trigger on a deep sea neo 185 which has a single overflow that is centered on the back wall.. it has 4 holes for drain and return....if i did this system...would the valves be ok in the overflow or would u want to put them under the tank???

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted to put this system into use. Just haven't had a tank that I could do it with.

I just picked up a reef ready 180 that id dual drilled in each corner. So I guess I am still not in a postion to try this. :sad:

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted to put this system into use. Just haven't had a tank that I could do it with.

I just picked up a reef ready 180 that id dual drilled in each corner. So I guess I am still not in a postion to try this. :sad:
ya unless you can get a 3rd hole for a emergency drain it wouldn't be failsafe... You could still run a sphion and a reg durso if ya wanted....

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, my tank is on the way. its an external overflow and i had it build with 3 1 1/2 drains. Im sure I will have ?'s for you when I go to plumb it so stay tuned.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back