Beginner friendly coral

Shane94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me. I have watched the BRSTV episodes on beginner friendly corals but my problem is almost all of the corals mentioned need to be placed on an island separate from the main structure. Can anyone give me some suggestions on beginner friendly corals that I could put on my main rock structure and it not take completely over?

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leather corals of any type (toadstools, nepthea, cabbage) trumpet corals, duncan corals, gorgonians (make sure they are photosynthetic) all of them are hardy and non-invasive corals. make sure to do research on the individual you are interested in getting. happy reefing!

OP
OP
S

Shane94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leather corals of any type (toadstools, nepthea, cabbage) trumpet corals, duncan corals, gorgonians (make sure they are photosynthetic) all of them are hardy and non-invasive corals. make sure to do research on the individual you are interested in getting. happy reefing!
Thank you so much

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will find it difficult as all corals eventually grow. I believe the suggestion of islands is probably the best thing to test out if you want 'test' a coral.
GSP, pulsing zenia, firework clove polyp, zoas, mushrooms.. the list is endless.
They best thing to do is have your coral separate to begin with, ensure it can survive, and also if you like the look of of it.. it may look great on a photo under filters but you may not like it in your aquarium, some corals look like a purple mess in daylight, then flourish at night under blues (when your in bed).
My suggestion is to research as much as possible, see which corals you get attracted to, screenshot all, then research more if it's compatible with your aquarium :)
Then adjust from there, I hope this helps :)
Patience is key to success

OP
OP
S

Shane94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will find it difficult as all corals eventually grow. I believe the suggestion of islands is probably the best thing to test out if you want 'test' a coral.
GSP, pulsing zenia, firework clove polyp, zoas, mushrooms.. the list is endless.
They best thing to do is have your coral separate to begin with, ensure it can survive, and also if you like the look of of it.. it may look great on a photo under filters but you may not like it in your aquarium, some corals look like a purple mess in daylight, then flourish at night under blues (when your in bed).
My suggestion is to research as much as possible, see which corals you get attracted to, screenshot all, then research more if it's compatible with your aquarium :)
Thank you. It does help a lot.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It does help a lot.
Also try to look at other videos of other aquarist, you tube has loads, don't rely solely on one like BRSTV.
Reef2reef is a massive library and it helped me so much, still helping me now.
I wish you the best success with your aquarium

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to keep a duncan alive to save my life, I am a dead man.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool leathers, the green tentacle ones are everywhere on local reef boards , very easy to grow and almost can't die. Blastomussa merletti, another easy one. Google all your fish and reef safe. I had a blenny killing stuff for a year before I realized. Favia was also pretty set and forget all these corals can be found for 30 bucks.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this. You can purchase frag racks that suction cup to the side. Pick a few corals you like and see if they grow.

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me. I have watched the BRSTV episodes on beginner friendly corals but my problem is almost all of the corals mentioned need to be placed on an island separate from the main structure. Can anyone give me some suggestions on beginner friendly corals that I could put on my main rock structure and it not take completely over?

The placement doesn't have to be permanent. You can attach the plug to a piece of rubble rock and just place the rock on your aquascape. Caribsea sells a box of rocks for $25 but you can go to your LFS and they might just give you some.

If I could start a new tank I'd buy cheap zoanthids, put them on a piece of rubble, and place it on the aquascape. They won't grow fast enough to catch you by surprise and when they get bigger you can just move the whole rubble rock mini colony. If concerned about invasiveness I'd still stay away from the xenia, gsp, clove polyps, etc... which are super spreaders.

There's also something to be said for choosing a coral you like that is slightly harder difficulty. Corals are great indicators of tank health. You'll lose corals along the way but they can help dial in your numbers. Not all corals make it even in well maintained tanks.

I see you have a 60 gallon tank. What other equipment?

OP
OP
S

Shane94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The placement doesn't have to be permanent. You can attach the plug to a piece of rubble rock and just place the rock on your aquascape. Caribsea sells a box of rocks for $25 but you can go to your LFS and they might just give you some.

If I could start a new tank I'd buy cheap zoanthids, put them on a piece of rubble, and place it on the aquascape. They won't grow fast enough to catch you by surprise and when they get bigger you can just move the whole rubble rock mini colony. If concerned about invasiveness I'd still stay away from the xenia, gsp, clove polyps, etc... which are super spreaders.

There's also something to be said for choosing a coral you like that is slightly harder difficulty. Corals are great indicators of tank health. You'll lose corals along the way but they can help dial in your numbers. Not all corals make it even in well maintained tanks.

I see you have a 60 gallon tank. What other equipment?
I have a 60 gallon breeder with a 29 gallon sump. I'm still in the process of setting up and cycling. I'm trying to do as much research as possible and ask as many questions as I can. Before I start adding fish or corals.

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon breeder with a 29 gallon sump. I'm still in the process of setting up and cycling. I'm trying to do as much research as possible and ask as many questions as I can. Before I start adding fish or

You’re approaching this the right way and you’re in the right place.

If you’re not starting with ocean live rock I’d consider adding copepods after your cycle finishes and feeding a tiny amount of live phyto daily. You only have to dose pods once and you get a nice little clean up crew going. The live phyto feeds the pods and competes with nuisance algae so it’s a great pairing. To keep corals happy I’d prioritize getting an auto top off—corals love stability.

Bring religious about a 15-20% weekly water change will work for almost any coral.

OP
OP
S

Shane94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re approaching this the right way and you’re in the right place.

If you’re not starting with ocean live rock I’d consider adding copepods after your cycle finishes and feeding a tiny amount of live phyto daily. You only have to dose pods once and you get a nice little clean up crew going. The live phyto feeds the pods and competes with nuisance algae so it’s a great pairing. To keep corals happy I’d prioritize getting an auto top off—corals love stability.

Bring religious about a 15-20% weekly water change will work for almost any coral.
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. I am planning on either getting the ecopods or galaxy pods from algae barn since they sell the whole kit which includes the phytoplankton.

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp is prolly the easiest only way you can kill them is if you manage to mess up the water chemistry (ph, calc, mag, alk and salinity)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%

Back