OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt go that route. i have a lot of rock, the old rock wall look that i like. i thik i had more that i couldnt than i could see. manually killing them i dont think works. i tried it and they kept multiplying untill i had an aptiasia farm. but the nudies cleaned it all up. have to be patient.
Been waiting since Aug. but I will keep waiting to see

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently won an Aiptasia outbreak after removing my rock work. It took close to six months but I came out on top. I have a small 4 gallon tank with not much rock though so not too tough to do. I just hated seeing them multiply. I never used any chemicals such as F Aiptasia, just kinda did the dirty work myself and am happy I did. Fingers crossed you get it under control without too much hassle, I also live in Texas and am always glad to help if we need to go to war lol

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt go that route. i have a lot of rock, the old rock wall look that i like. i thik i had more that i couldnt than i could see. manually killing them i dont think works. i tried it and they kept multiplying untill i had an aptiasia farm. but the nudies cleaned it all up. have to be patient.
Been waiting since Aug. but I will keep waiting
I have recently won an Aiptasia outbreak after removing my rock work. It took close to six months but I came out on top. I have a small 4 gallon tank with not much rock though so not too tough to do. I just hated seeing them multiply. I never used any chemicals such as F Aiptasia, just kinda did the dirty work myself and am happy I did. Fingers crossed you get it under control without too much hassle, I also live in Texas and am always glad to help if we need to go to war lol
i would remove the rock if I could without destroying the whole thing. The rocks at stacked and stuck together. And every rock has a ton

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 berghia took care of hundreds and hundreds of aiptasia for me in my 75g. It took about 2 months

I bought them from reef town.com
I used reef town last time. The owner is really nice and helpful. I’m just going to buy maybe 6 more. It’s a 36 gallon

forneyjohn19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 gallon tank. Recently had aptasia (only 2 to 3 visible at a time). I used various aptasia-killing products, but every time I killed a head another would pop up somewhere.

I purchased 4 medium nudibranchs from Reef Town, all aptasia was gone in 2 days. It’s been just over a month, I am assuming the nudi’s are dead, but haven’t seen a single aptasia since.

I am assuming such a large outbreak will take time, and I know the nudi’s are expensive, but I tentatively want to say my tank is cured.

I also will not put another coral in this tank (it is over-filled already). To me, it was worth the cost to be done with aptasia once and for all.

If you have the money, I vote get more nudi’s.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back in Aug I purchased 5 Berghia for about 20-30 aiptasia. No improvement at all, actually way worse probably 100 Aiptasia now. I spent $150 with the shipping for no improvement. So my question is does anyone know how many i would need now and where is the most affordable place to buy some. I’m getting desperate because they are killing my soft corals. I do not have a wrasse or peppermint shrimp so I not sure what happened to the first ones i bought. Thanks in advance!
I would trust the company from which you bought them - and - if they didn't work - I would ask for a replacement. They worked for me

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My experience has been that Aiptasia X is horrible, I think it’s a Aiptasia aphrodisiac. F Aiptasia on the other hand has been wildly successful for me. But you have to shut all flow down for about 30-40 minutes for it to work correctly. I put 5 berghiA in my tank 6 months ago, I’m still waiting to see if they will ever come out of hiding. I recently added 6 peppermint shrimp. I have an Aiptasia im waiting to see what they do with. Currently I think they are as lazy as the berghia and probably just partying the nights away when the lights go out. I’ve discovered that I was my worst enemy with aiptasia. I loved using peroxide and vinegar on them, then wouldn’t understand why I only 4 and 2 weeks later I had 24. As mentioned any part of one will grow into one. I once found 40-50 in my rollermat, all the parts of them would collect in the rollermat and eventually they grew back. I recently rescaled my tank and took. Every rock out of my tank. I found a couple that had to be 2 inches wide living between two rocks. I set up a tank, put the rocks in it one by one and searched for every single aiptasia and got rid of them. You can do it that way, but it takes a minute to go through each and every rock.

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This link below was our successful experience with battling aiptasia using Berghia. It is a long post but I explain how we introduced the Berghia into the tank. The key to their multiplying is to place several close together so they can find each other.

Good luck! I swear, aiptasia are from the devil himself.

Post in thread 'Aiptasia / Berghia Nudibranch / Study'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aiptasia-berghia-nudibranch-study.911648/post-10428754

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This link below was our successful experience with battling aiptasia using Berghia. It is a long post but I explain how we introduced the Berghia into the tank. The key to their multiplying is to place several close together so they can find each other.

Good luck! I swear, aiptasia are from the devil himself.

Post in thread 'Aiptasia / Berghia Nudibranch / Study'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aiptasia-berghia-nudibranch-study.911648/post-10428754
I’m still holding out a little hope the ones I put in in Aug are still alive but theres been no improvement at all.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat. I have a 65g with lots of SPS growing over rocks, impossible to move a thing in the tanks. And thousands of aiptasia all over. Only two fishes, a tang and a clown, no wrasses, no shrimp - nothing that would pose a threat to the nudibranchs. I introduced 20 berghia in August - drip-acclimated them, and carefully placed them on rockwork in 3 locations in the tank - close to aiptasia, but not directly on them. I have not seen a berghia ever since I introduced them, nor any signs of aiptasia number decline. I feel desparate. My next option are the filefish and copperband: I have ordered them, but they will only arrive in January, maybe February...

ggz123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia can be really effective but you have to be patient. I bought 6 Berghia a few years ago and put 2of them in the display (never to be seen again) and try to reproduce the four other. It. Took me some while to find an easy way to do so but after two months I had over a hundred and they ate the 1000 aiptasia in the display very fast. Now the Aiptasia are slowly back and I will try again but only with a couple of berghia.
I would be interested! Please let us know your derails

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this helps many, many people!!! I Just had bought at the time (4 months ago ) Wild caught peppermint shrimp - Lysmata Wurdemanni ONLY..! Wild caught! from SaltwaterAquarium.com. I studied for some three weeks what to do... I was syringing white vinegar daily and I could NOT keep up, no way. They where hiding everywhere in my tank - lots of live rock- I mean lots..! 280 gallon system 120 and a 90 with a huge 100 gallon sump (more than half full). Added (5) in the 120 main tank and (2) in 90, and 2 in the ole sump... Done deal 1000% they all - everyone of them of any size was gone completely! Like in zero left in 2 days maybe 3 days total. WILD CAUGHT is the secret..! I do believe that now as I saw it happen in my own tanks, and they where infested to the max... No names where I got these from.. But I will never ever get anything from them again.. jerks, man I was ticked off. 28+ year old tanks - never a crash or disease of any kind ever... 250 plus lbs true live rock like you can not get any more ever..! A true Fact Jack... Now I really love my new little buddies... I now have them all trained as well, I can pet them and they roll over.. !

Wild Caught is the secret. I shopped EVERYWHERE messaging, calling, texting... Lots of my own homework done here on all remedies Aiptasia. I talked to about most of the facilities across the US that had them for sale.. Lot's of home work..! even more. Simple fix very easy, costly huh, not really. Just turned 28 year old "Solid" none stop reef system of 280 gallons. Saltwater Aquarium both call them and order some.. They got here extremely fast but where advertised as "Adult Size" and I did get some smaller ones. They will grow.. As for the BerghiasI am not a fan at all after doing all my home work. Getting eaten, never see much, starving, COST of, and the amount of time for clearing the tanks out (very slow movement). And the pastes and calk mixes, and the shocker tubes... ha ha. I wish you luck with that I am not and "I" could not ever get to any of the back side at all. Also to dip and clean your rocks are you kidding me???? To tear a tank down because of Aiptasia infestation is just total madness it's absolutely craziness, and having this plague not to go fishing you will be forever domed..! Wild caught peppermint shrimp - Lysmata Wurdemanni ONLY!!, it worked out of this world fast and extremely very efficient! They are right to the the point, done deal babe. Easiest saltwater fix ever, now cyano good luck...reef snow is the way as well lol. Get some of these, do some homework if you like, then stop beating around the bush and get some asap they will take care of your problem guys and gals and they are so super cool in the ole tanks..!
Good luck to all fellow reefers...

Update: 5 months now. I have Never seen another one since...! The Wild Caught - Lysmata Wurdemanni, where very shy at first I took a 2ft-8inch a half chunk of hard tubing airline, heated it and bent a 3 inch piece over at just a little less than 90 degrees, and added a handle on the other end. Then I shove the end into crustation food like Hikari Crab Cuisine. Dunk it straight down in the tank and the food go's right straight to the surface (up the tube to the water line). In about 10 seconds it gets water logged and slowly drops down to the end of the tube and into the tank. I can control where any type of pellet's are placed to the tee. Food control and spot feeding about anything! I can drop food in and around the rock work where needed. I put a syringe on the end via rubber fitting I made and I can spot feed flowers, zoa's, SPS, LPS, and Acros about anything I want to so easy. Way, way better than any syringe's, and bulb type turkey baster ever! AND MY HANDS NEVER GET WET AND REMAIN DRY ALWAYS... and with near zero waste!! **Warning all my crabs and all my shrimp's, do follow just the tube end, like they are hanging on to it for dear life... lol Try this... ***One Fantastic TIP HERE*** I really hope this will help ALL that are having this problem..!! And Happy Reefing to all.. !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish and peppermint shrimp killed all of mine and keep it in check. I've only seen 1 aiptasia pop back up in the last 3 months. They seem to kill them before they are noticeable.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want a file fish in my tank, or any other eater so to speak.. This above is the absolute fix that is so, so, easy... Peppermint's babe... lol. ONLY Wild Caught not tank raised - as in tank raised well they eat pellets!! They may not have ever seen any Aiptasia ever!. Not only that but the shrimp get into cracks and extremely tight spots like no other.. I just love them in any reef.. if not just in case one Aiptasia is introduced via adding any corals or any live stock.. ** Tip: I also do keep them hungry and hunting all the time as well..**

Last edited:

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 months ago I put 20 Berghias purchased from Dinkins Aquatic Gardens into my 150 gallon reef. Then 3 months later I put in another 30 Berghias. I didnt have a major aptasia outbreak at the time but I wanted to get ahead of it. I have heard Berghias described as a wild fire that will multiply quickly, eat all the aptasia, then die quickly once the aptasia are gone. Based on m,y experience I don't think this is true. A month ago (which was 6 months since the last time I added Berghias) I found two Berghias in my sump. Since adding the Berghias I have had no visible aptasia anywhere in my system besides on my two locline return nozzles which are covered in aptasia and most likley inacessible to the Berghias. I don't have any other aptasia eating animals in my tank so I can only assume that the Berghias have been doing their job and surviving in my tank for many months.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36 gallon. I don’t know how true it is but I was told the butterfly fish and file fish will eat them but they are messy eaters and it can spread the spores and make ever more aiptasia
That is too small for a copperband, and the filefish will eventually stop eating the aiptasia (once it figures out that food falls from the sky on a schedule).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back