Best Acclimation Box?

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, need recommendations, will be transferring lemon Peel Angel from 100 to 125gL. Just saw him head butt my 5” Saifin Tang, enough to push her away from his cave, she just backed back in, but I will have orchid Dottyback and wrasse. I’m adding 4 new Chromis, too have one now, may need 2 boxes. Thank-you for tips
Debrs

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, need recommendations, will be transferring lemon Peel Angel from 100 to 125gL. Just saw him head butt my 5” Saifin Tang, enough to push her away from his cave, she just backed back in, but I will have orchid Dottyback and wrasse. I’m adding 4 new Chromis, too have one now, may need 2 boxes. Thank-you for tips
Debrs

Do you have a sump?

I have read a few different threads that say if you put new fish in the sump for a week or so, when added to the DT that they blend in seamlessly.

There was a theory proposed that the fish get used to the "smell" of the new fish and never notice that they have a new roommate when placed into the DT.

I have never tried this myself so I can not relate firsthand experience.. Might be worth a try though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump?

I have read a few different threads that say if you put new fish in the sump for a week or so, when added to the DT that they blend in seamlessly.

There was a theory proposed that the fish get used to the "smell" of the new fish and never notice that they have a new roommate when placed into the DT.

I have never tried this myself so I can not relate firsthand experience.. Might be worth a try though.
Thank-you for your response! Yes, will actually have 2, current 100g, 20g sump, new tank has 30 or 40 g sump. My new fish are from Dr reef Quarantined fish, they’ll be the first intro to the 125, getting used to LR, hiding places etc. my concern is for the lemon and current Chromis. My tang gang, Saifin, Hippo and very timid YT. They’ll love the 6’ all around swimming and food! I want the 2 potential terrors , Chromis going after 4 new and Lemon wanting to be, jerks. I’m hoping new guys will have time to get moved in. All new are coming from Dr Reef together. We’ll be having both tanks going, transfer of some substrate and rocks will be alittle unsettling! Lemonpeel was last addition 4 yrs ago, impulse buy from husband. All current mates get along, it’s the smaller ones firefish, 4 Chromis and Orchid Dottyback new might be terrorized.
Any thoughts appreciated!
Debra

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I am reading this correctly, you are upgrading from a 100g to a new 125?

If so I would add all the fish, including the new ones, at the same time. With everyone on equal footing, they will stake out their new places and should be more worried about themselves than defending an established territory.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank-you for your response! Yes, will actually have 2, current 100g, 20g sump, new tank has 30 or 40 g sump. My new fish are from Dr reef Quarantined fish, they’ll be the first intro to the 125, getting used to LR, hiding places etc. my concern is for the lemon and current Chromis. My tang gang, Saifin, Hippo and very timid YT. They’ll love the 6’ all around swimming and food! I want the 2 potential terrors , Chromis going after 4 new and Lemon wanting to be, jerks. I’m hoping new guys will have time to get moved in. All new are coming from Dr Reef together. We’ll be having both tanks going, transfer of some substrate and rocks will be alittle unsettling! Lemonpeel was last addition 4 yrs ago, impulse buy from husband. All current mates get along, it’s the smaller ones firefish, 4 Chromis and Orchid Dottyback new might be terrorized.
Any thoughts appreciated!
Debra
Oh, forgot, new tank is not plumbed yet, it’s an outside the tank overflow……. Have been researching. After high phosphate levels, new R/O, old tank great parameters. Got so used to watching fish, not testing, we were chasing algae! And got help from Mark at Meleves reef. Great Guy.would love to keep both tanks in living room but need place for Christmas tree!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If so I would add all the fish, including the new ones, at the same time. With everyone on equal footing, they will stake out their new places and should be more worried about themselves than defending an established territory.
J jeez, thanks, haven’t considered that. New tank is in my build thread, Debra’s Dream Aquarium! That’s good input, I’ve been thinking about this since August! Talked at length w/ Dr Reef, Mike about my wishlist as he needs heads up, so he’s getting guys ready, but we’re not ready yet, husband is one who works harder since retirement! Huge major bath remodeling, working on 1000g pond w/25 ‘ stream and other projects going, I’m the organizer of new tank!
Debra

Upvote 0

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I setup today. Just moved my massive Diamond Goby, two juvenile engineer gobies, and one 2.5” clown tang into my 360g (they just finished copper, metro, prazi quarantine) very happy with it!!!

It’s a simple 10 gallon tank I got on sale at I think pet smart or somewhere years ago for like $10 or $20. I made a lid with egg crate and some aquarium mesh I found on Amazon (can post link if anyone requests). I put it up on some specimen cup stands just so I don’t bury and trap any of my sand dwelling critters. I’m so stoked on this!

The rock and Zoa rock on top are just to make sure the lid doesn’t move.

IMG_0740.jpeg IMG_0737.jpeg IMG_0739.jpeg IMG_0743.jpeg IMG_0748.jpeg IMG_0735.jpeg

Upvote 0

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This ^

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back