Best external cube filtration?

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 15 gal cube. I have a canister filter and I was hoping to hopefully do something to swap out my filtration. My canister is a zoomed nano and I feel like it is no longer upkeeping as it used to. What would be a better way to filter out and have a cleaner tank? Please include hardware if need be, I have a nano skimmer, ATO that I have not set up yet as I must make space, and I may use it for my newer tank. So maybe more basic ATO would be nice as well,

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small sump would be your best bet for flexibility. What’s are the dimensions of your stand?
Aqueon Stand this exast stand. the 15x15. I was thinking sump but to be honest I have no idea how to make a sump. I think I might ask my local reef group if they can help out. Something about plumbing and pumps and all that kinda scares me a bit

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank like this would be perfect to make a sump that would fit your stand, you could get it way cheaper than this at a local fish store like Petco or petsmart. It’s not hard to make a sump and you get the benefit of full customization. Check out my build thread, I made a sump from a 40 gallon aqueon tank. Happy to answer any specific questions you have!

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank like this would be perfect to make a sump that would fit your stand, you could get it way cheaper than this at a local fish store like Petco or petsmart. It’s not hard to make a sump and you get the benefit of full customization. Check out my build thread, I made a sump from a 40 gallon aqueon tank. Happy to answer any specific questions you have!

yea the drilling is another thing that scares me lol. I think I do have a diamond saw or some sort. I would have to dismantle my tank I think if I were to drill a flow of some sort.

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I always thought they were meant for fresh but I supposed if you gut it out put some macroalgae and a live rock it and filterfloss it shoul;d be good right?

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are DIYs out there. My problem with them is the fact do the really work enough to be seen? I always though fuges need to be as big as possible. but on the other hand.. they are great places for Pods to live in soo if you are looking for a place where Pods can live .. why not :) and it might help with PH..

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side topic.. I have been thinking about using a HOB filter and storing my heaters as well as Carbon or other media.. house is way to cold so I have 2 10w and a 50w heater to keep the temp up :(.. need more space for other stuff.. currently playing around with a DIY algea scrubber just for the giggles XD

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side topic.. I have been thinking about using a HOB filter and storing my heaters as well as Carbon or other media.. house is way to cold so I have 2 10w and a 50w heater to keep the temp up :(.. need more space for other stuff.. currently playing around with a DIY algea scrubber just for the giggles XD
carbon is a good idea. I really wanna somehow make the sump work so I can have a cleaner look

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it would look cleaner ! lol wish I could of went with a sump but in my case.. I have limited space so i have to do what I can. so yeah Sump > HOB any day.

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dumb and I went with a standard aqueon tank for my first time lol. I shouldve went with an AIO

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reaping what I sow with this canister filter

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meh, hindsight is always 20/20.. kind of wish i went with a bigger tank myself.. but its more about the journey and how you fix certain problems with what you have.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back