Best products for Ca, Mg, Alk dosing and testing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, thanks! Any insight on the recommendation to add Strontium & Molybdenum when using the liquid calcium?

I don't personally see evidence that strontium is useful, but there's nothing wrong with adding it if needed or in reasonable amounts.

Without dosing molybdenum, mine was somewhat low, but I never did anything about it. Dosing some seems like a fine plan for many people.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out that my Red Sea test for Ca is bad, it kept showing 400 ppm even when I just made a new batch of salt using the Ref sea Coral Pro salt (should have been around 450 with 1.025) The Alk tested fine with this batch of salt, about 11-12.
The test kit is only have about 20% left, I been using since Jan 2016 and have exp 2018. Was showing good result until the past 3 wks.
Any suggestion of other Ca test kit?

Thanks

OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good experience with API, the calcium test that came in my reef test kit. I'm sure there are more precise tests; this one measures 20ppm Ca per drop of test solution added, so you get a general idea of where you are at in terms of Ca level. This is the only test I've used but its easy and cheap and seems to be accurate enough as I've had my LFS check levels before too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out that my Red Sea test for Ca is bad, it kept showing 400 ppm even when I just made a new batch of salt using the Ref sea Coral Pro salt (should have been around 450 with 1.025) The Alk tested fine with this batch of salt, about 11-12.
The test kit is only have about 20% left, I been using since Jan 2016 and have exp 2018. Was showing good result until the past 3 wks.
Any suggestion of other Ca test kit?

Thanks

Many people use and like the Salifert kit.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Randy. Is Salifert also good for PO4 and Nitrate?

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ELOS Phosphate Pro (I think the Nyos test kit for PO4 is basically the same kit) is also good for low phosphate levels.

OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't personally see evidence that strontium is useful, but there's nothing wrong with adding it if needed or in reasonable amounts.

Without dosing molybdenum, mine was somewhat low, but I never did anything about it. Dosing some seems like a fine plan for many people.

Randy, after a few days I've gotten my Ca to a desirable level... I'm finding after a week now that 1 - 1.25oz of Kent Liquid Ca a day gets me near 45o ppm Ca. 24 hours later I am right around 400 again until I dose another 1oz. I know every tank is different, but does that seem reasonable for a 54 gallon tank? I just don't want to find I've been wasting money and product to no avail. My Mg has been holding out around 1420-1460 and Alk seems to steadily test around 11. Right now I've only got one 4 head frogspawn colony and a bunch of zoas, mushrooms, and a toadstool leather.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, after a few days I've gotten my Ca to a desirable level... I'm finding after a week now that 1 - 1.25oz of Kent Liquid Ca a day gets me near 45o ppm Ca. 24 hours later I am right around 400 again until I dose another 1oz. I know every tank is different, but does that seem reasonable for a 54 gallon tank? I just don't want to find I've been wasting money and product to no avail. My Mg has been holding out around 1420-1460 and Alk seems to steadily test around 11. Right now I've only got one 4 head frogspawn colony and a bunch of zoas, mushrooms, and a toadstool leather.

If alkalinity is steady (and you are not dosing any), calcium is not declining, except by water change. Most likely the difference was just random testing error. :)

OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I follow... are you saying my calcium is not declining if my alkalinity doesn't change?
To clarify, for several days I have tested my calcium and got a reading of around 400, I have then dosed 1oz of liquid Ca. Waited an hour or so and tested Ca again resulting around 450. 24 hours later, my Ca is testing around 400 again. Repeat the routine. Since it seems to be consistent, I was asking you if you think that makes sense for my tank. Seems like a lot to have to dose daily.
Don't get me wrong... I'm sure testing errors are in there, but the results I have gotten have been over several days and with several tests. Or I am misinterpreting you altogether.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I follow... are you saying my calcium is not declining if my alkalinity doesn't change?

That is exactly it, yes. There is no mechanism at all for calcium to decline detectably if alkalinity is not declining at a proportional rate (unless you are adding alkalinity).

Alkalinity must decline at about 2.8 dKH (1 meq/L) for each 18-20 ppm decline in calcium.

You are adding 10 oz of what product?

OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so I am glad I asked. Learning here so thank you for being patient. I have been adding Kent Liquid Calcium. I've been using API tests for both Alk and Ca.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back