Best protein skimmer for 20 gallon long tank?

sally666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best protein skimmer for a FOWLR 20 gallon long tank that is not noisy or complicated to use?

OP
OP
sally666

sally666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really simple to use, yes it has instructions but you really don't need them.

There is a blue wavy line on the skimmer body to show where to line up the skimmer to the water level, you then turn the air wheel that is on the side to add or reduce the air, you want the bubbles to start at the bottom of the collection cup, the part that you remove to empty, seems low but as the bubbles collect the dirt, the bubbles start to climb up the cup, you want the bubbles to very slowly break the top of the cup to fall over the side into the cup, thats it…the slightest movement on the wheel is all you need to change the height of the bubbles.

Oh missed the cleaning part of your question…comes with a cool brush, simply pull the pump off the bottom, clean with brush, even the cleaning is simple.
With skimmers you don’t want to clean too often as the skimmer to work at its best needs a coating of slime for the bubbles to help form and climb, you can clean the pump a little more but the body of the skimmer doesn’t need to be spotless, so you will find the skimmer at first will not produce much skimmate but after a few days the colour will be darker as the slime coat builds.

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely works…

IMG_3592.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard to believe that in a 20 gallon tank with regular water change that nitrate is high. Unless extremely stocked with fish.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case someone reading this thread doesnt know…Skimmers do not remove nitrates or phosphates

Water changes yes. Skimmers no.

Skimmers remove organics
Which is pretty much the same thing as removing nitrate and phosphate when looking at it from a long-term system point of view. Organics that are gone can't turn into nitrate and phosphate later.

The goal is to shift the entire balance in the circle of life, not trying to fight the balance with rash actions because you want to get rid of a number NOW

michigan-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that a skimmer is not necessary on a 20 gallon. If you enjoy tinkering with the equipment then go for it, but the money spent on a skimmer would buy a lot of salt and water.

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that a skimmer is not necessary on a 20 gallon. If you enjoy tinkering with the equipment then go for it, but the money spent on a skimmer would buy a lot of salt and water.
You defiantly don't need it. But its a nice feature that helps pull more gunk out that the mechanical filtration missed. Even larger particles can still get past filter floss.

If you have a habit of overfeeding like me. Its a must lol.

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best protein skimmer for a FOWLR 20 gallon long tank that is not noisy or complicated to use?
Bubble Magus mini Q. I have 3 protein skimmers for my nano AIO tanks. This one is by far the easiest to dial in and did not require a break in period. It was silet and produce little to no micro bubbles.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You defiantly don't need it. But its a nice feature that helps pull more gunk out that the mechanical filtration missed. Even larger particles can still get past filter floss.

If you have a habit of overfeeding like me. Its a must lol.
...and it will help when that weekly WC gets skipped when you get busy doing something else.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just do water changes. That would be the easiest.
WCs allow organics to build up in between WCs, during which time algae can grab nutrients and overall water quality declines. Stability is especially hard to achieve in a tiny volume of water, so a skimmer is a great tool.

I run a Tunze 9004 DC on my 10q QT tank (right in the tank itself, there's no sump), and I find that it works well. The DC controllability is really helpful for dialing it in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IceCap K1-50 or K1-100 (coralvue.com)

BoldCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the PLS-50 on a 32 Gallon tank and it works great if it fits your chamber. It takes a little while to get dialed in, but once it’s there you are set.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back