Best Types of Coral to Place on a High Arch?

kennedysherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of coral would be happiest/safest going on the arch of the rock?

Currently none of my coral are glued down because I wanted to make sure that they will thrive in their location before it becomes their permanent home. There are plenty of spaces on the main sections of the rock structure to stick frag plugs in without having to glue anything yet. The arch is a different story.. There is nowhere to stick anything without gluing it down so I just want to make sure I’m putting the correct type of coral there.

Suggestions?

4591E8CF-4F6C-4314-AC67-A83BA88615A6.jpeg
6453B8A9-46DF-4822-8F18-0F39A56F2115.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive arch work, as others stated acros or Monti will work up there is SPS is in your plan. I just wouldn't try them until your tank is mature enough and your parameters are stabil. Once you see coralline forming all over your bare bottom you will know you are ready.

OP
OP
kennedysherman

kennedysherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive arch work, as others stated acros or Monti will work up there is SPS is in your plan. I just wouldn't try them until your tank is mature enough and your parameters are stabil. Once you see coralline forming all over your bare bottom you will know you are ready.
Thank you so much!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never put acros up there. As soon as it gets larger than frag size it is out of the water. Montis yes as long as light not so much it will bleach them. Personally i would do a zoa variety that does well in high light

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never put acros up there. As soon as it gets larger than frag size it is out of the water. Montis yes as long as light not so much it will bleach them. Personally i would do a zoa variety that does well in high light
A lot of acro corals grow In the wild just below the water surface. I asked my coral vendor about water changes and branches being out of the water during this period. He told me 30 minutes no problem for a coral like that.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not really the point i was making. If you want a max 2" acro colony thats fine i was just giving my opinion i believe it is a poor choice because of that.

The fact acros often grow near the surface and are out of water at times for low tide in no way makes me want to have an acro colony limited to 2" tall.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not really the point i was making. If you want a max 2" acro colony thats fine i was just giving my opinion i believe it is a poor choice because of that.

The fact acros often grow near the surface and are out of water at times for low tide in no way makes me want to have an acro colony limited to 2" tall.
True but don't they just grow wider instead of taller?

Not my tank below

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    13.5 KB · Views: 71

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, chilli sponge can be a good choice too. If I'm not wrong, the can be attached inverted and do well.

Chili corals are awesome and can be hung upside down. Unlike sun coral they need to be in shade/dark. Sun coral does not need light but can be ok in moderate light. Both need moderate to high flow and feeding (or a "dirty" tank)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this. Sun coral copes really well.

IMG_20220130_223115.jpg

Alternatively, chilli sponge can be a good choice too. If I'm not wrong, the can be attached inverted and do well.
Sun coral is beautiful but do you have to hand feed it daily?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but don't they just grow wider instead of taller?

Not my tank below

Yes but unless it is a top down view in my opinion having an acro that high you are getting just the "ugly view" from the bottom with the very limited space they have there. Dont get wrong i love sps tanks with acros to the waterline but they usually have a lot more than a couple inches before they get there., but again just my opinion i dont think it is a good choice for that arch. In any case i just wanted to make sure the OP took it into consideration.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back