Bicolor Blenny Skin Problems

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just recently got a bicolor blenny and it first showed stripes when I got it, which the lfs owner said is referred to as “stress stripes” , the following morning it looks like its skin is coming off, my water params are all normal but I can see his skin hanging off as if he is shedding some kind of grey film. After watching him for a bit he even turned over on his side but got back up after a couple seconds. Could someone shed some light on the subject? Anything helps, thanks!

IMG_6961.jpeg IMG_6963.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey everyone, I just recently got a bicolor blenny and it first showed stripes when I got it, which the lfs owner said is referred to as “stress stripes” , the following morning it looks like its skin is coming off, my water params are all normal but I can see his skin hanging off as if he is shedding some kind of grey film. After watching him for a bit he even turned over on his side but got back up after a couple seconds. Could someone shed some light on the subject? Anything helps, thanks!

IMG_6961.jpeg IMG_6963.jpeg
Appears to be a bacterial issue and often associated with water quality
How are you testing water?
How was fish acclimated and for how long?
Is it breathing normal or labored?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be a bacterial issue and often associated with water quality
How are you testing water?
How was fish acclimated and for how long?
Is it breathing normal or labored?
I’m using the API Master Saltwater Test Kit to test for Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate, all either 0 or really close to it.
For acclimation I did temperature acclimation for 20 minutes and drip acclimation for 45 minutes.
As for the breathing I can’t really tell, it looks rapid compared to my other fish.

My lfs said it could be ammonia burn and asked me to bring a water sample for them to check. It’s a bit strange because I just did a water change 2 days ago.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m using the API Master Saltwater Test Kit to test for Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate, all either 0 or really close to it.
For acclimation I did temperature acclimation for 20 minutes and drip acclimation for 45 minutes.
As for the breathing I can’t really tell, it looks rapid compared to my other fish.
You'll hear this many times but Api master is one of the worse for accuracy especially for ammonia. To confirm your readings, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll hear this many times but Api master is one of the worse for accuracy especially for ammonia. To confirm your readings, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I’ll get on getting a new kit then for readings immediately, and taking a water sample to my lfs, but my main takeaway is it doesn’t look like a disease? My other fish seem perfectly normal so I’m just afraid it could be something worse than the water quality.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ll get on getting a new kit then for readings immediately, and taking a water sample to my lfs, but my main takeaway is it doesn’t look like a disease? My other fish seem perfectly normal so I’m just afraid it could be something worse than the water quality.
Looks like a bacterial issue

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 119 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back