Big eye black bar soldierfish aggressive? Maybe someone else?

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my cleaner wrasse get it's fins shredded as well as my fairy wrasse's tail get bitten up a bit. I have also added a few fish that I never saw after adding them. They were diamond sifter goby,a firefish goby, and a black cap basslet all of which were around 3 inches long. It is a big tank with a ton of rock, so if these guys did not survive acclimation I likely wouldn't find the bodies so that is worth considering.

I had four big eye black bar soldierfish in my 270 gallon. They schooled well as I read they would, but suddenly two killed the other two. The remaining two are never apart now, and even swim in the open water together which before I barely saw them. I have not seen them chase a fish aside from the other two solider fish These guys are leftover from my FOWLR days, but I thought there was no harm in keeping them until they got a bit bigger. Could these guys be the culprits? They are about 2 inches long so far too small to swallow any of the fish I have added, but could still have killed them I guess?

The only other fish I could suspect is my dusky jawfish? He is my biggest fish at about 4 inches, and he does a lot of posturing. He will run out of his hole with his mouth opened wide and do an aggression dance in front of nearby fish. His mouth doesn't really look like it could shred fins though, and his throat is very small compared to the size of the mouth from what I understand?

I also have a male lyretail anthias who kind of rules the tank, but would an anthias really nip smaller fish? He doesn't even nip his females after all?

My other residents I never see remotely bother anyone: A tang, swallowtail angel, flame angel, red lizard fish(3 inch bottom dwelling species), and a pair of ocelaris clowns.

Esox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet would be the clowns. My ocellaris is in solitary confinement. Tried to add a tank mate on two separate occasions, and never did see any aggression. But the new guys invariably started looking like they went 13 rounds with Mike Tyson while the lights were out.

OP
OP
F

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet would be the clowns. My ocellaris is in solitary confinement. Tried to add a tank mate on two separate occasions, and never did see any aggression. But the new guys invariably started looking like they went 13 rounds with Mike Tyson while the lights were out.

I have begun witnessing the big eye fish chase other fish! The clowns are among the newer additions, so they are most likely innocent. I think it has to be the big eyes because only them and the jawfish show any interest in my other fish.

Esox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you isolate them for a while and see if there's any change for the better in your other fish?

OP
OP
F

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you isolate them for a while and see if there's any change for the better in your other fish?

Going to attempt to make a trap for them, they need to go back to the LFS eventually anyway since they grow too big for my other inhabitants anyway. One of them is also growing rapidly as well, he has doubled in size in about 2 months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back