Big Storm Coming!

Tjakes680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually have to get a second back up battery for my small tank...but i think Nj should be ok for the most part....we got hit pretty bad last year around this time without any major power outrages...it is really cold over here though...its like 7' with the wind chill

Tjakes680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Brooklyn I feel your chill its about -3 tonight with wind chill and I live on the water its beyond cold

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the capital reagion ny they say it may miss us though only a mile of line to the substation and all under ground from there. We barley lose power I am next to an airport

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago when I was a discus man, my friend called me in July and told me he could get us big generators right then..."its July" I said and declined his offer...that afternoon a big wind/rain storm hit...I called him back and have been using it (mostly in winter) many times since...

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are expected to get some sleet and freezing rain here in the deep south tonight. Fired up my generator a few days ago so we should be prepared if we lose power. Freezing rain is the biggest reason for us to have power loss
If you live in the Eastern US, make sure you know what you'd do if you lost power for a few days!
well Randy it looks like this could be really something for a good part of the east coast although in Virginia beach we never know what's going to happen except a lot of terrible drivers on the road, I'll just stay home , lol. Anyway thank you for the warning and for everyone that will and could be affected I'll be crossing my fingers + some that Everyone and their " families" to include fish, dogs, cats, birds, lizards and so on. :D Are safe.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in south Texas with the risk of hurricanes any time,
I use a 3500 watt generator to keep t5, main pump and skimmer running.
It allows to run the fridge and a portable AC unit as well.

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in the Eastern US, make sure you know what you'd do if you lost power for a few days!
What would be the best recommendation to prepare for an outtage if you do not have a generator hard wired to the house. Battery backup? What type? How to hook it up to the system?

Thanks

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best recommendation to prepare for an outtage if you do not have a generator hard wired to the house. Battery backup? What type? How to hook it up to the system?

Thanks

I use a big industrial battery (size 4D; actually two connected in parallel) and an inverter to power my Tunze circulation pumps. I have a DIY setup which makes it kick in automatically when power is lost. I do not power the main pumps or heaters or lighting as they would deplete the battery too fast and overload the inverter). This setup can keep the main tank circulating for days without power.

My plan would be to heat the room via a wood fireplace if needed in the winter.

Short of such a system, some battery operated air pumps are a good choice (along with plenty of batteries).

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-...attery-operated-air-pumps/ps/c/3578/3669/8044

Last edited:

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ups which should let my PH running for a bit. Tank is right across from fireplace should we need warmth. We never use it, but will if we have to.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said..I'm pretty unfamiliar with generators. Been looking them up. What do I look for and want In a generator?

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know your plight. When it's Hurricane season one must honker down once in a while. My computer UPS comes in handy for a little while. I heard of people rigging a power inverter to their Car Battery. Don't know how well this works. It's getting cold here lows in the 40F 's now.
:(
I have a 3000 watt power inverter that powers my tank fine especially since I switched to DC everything and my m1 has 2 backup batteries so now I don't have to listen to the wife complain about using generator for my tank instead of the fridge

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I can post the link here, but an Amazon has some automatic battery backup pumps on there for about 12 bucks.

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a big industrial battery (size 4D; actually two connected in parallel) and an inverter to power my Tunze circulation pumps. I have a DIY setup which makes it kick in automatically when power is lost. I do not power the main pumps or heaters or lighting as they would deplete the battery too fast and overload the inverter). This setup can keep the main tank circulating for days without power.

My plan would be to heat the room via a wood fireplace if needed in the winter.

Short of such a system, some battery operated air pumps are a good choice (along with plenty of batteries).

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-...attery-operated-air-pumps/ps/c/3578/3669/8044

Down in Texas having heat is not too much of an issue for most of the year. More so just something to keep the DC pump or powerheads running for gas exchange and dissolved O2.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the bullseye is right on top of my house here in Northern Va.. :D fortunately we have only lost power 2 times in the last 30 years because most lines are underground.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around here, if you are in a pinch, you can pick up battery air pumps at Walmart in the fishing aisle (bait bubbler) for 8 bucks + cost of batteries

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the bullseye is right on top of my house here in Northern Va.. :D fortunately we have only lost power 2 times in the last 30 years because most lines are underground.
Yeah live in Manassas Virginia too. Looks like we're going to get hit pretty hard. I've lived here for three years and have never lost power. I really hope this isn't the time that I do lose power. All I have is battery operated air pumps but that's about it. I will be looking into generators after this passes. Fingers crossed!!

Viperdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not only live in the Bullseye of this storm, I plow snow. I won't be home for three days with this storm that is coming. I keep a generator there and my wife can plug it in if we lose power. I would be a little surprised if we didn't lose power in this one. They say winds will be 35-50mph. This is going to be fun!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back