Bimaculatus Anthias

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on a stock lists for 310g. I have a bunch of tangs, a couple angles, and a leopard and cleaner wrasse in a 180g right now that will be going in too. I’ve keep Bartlett’s a few times in the past but always seem to all turn male, bully then kill off other anthias and similar sized fish. But there is nothing more beautiful than school of anthias. Do all anthias act the same way? I found a good deal on some bimaculatus but I haven’t kept them before. Are they like wrasse and most females eventually turn males no matter what Even if there is a dominant male? Or is it greater the number better results? I’ve kept up to 7 at a time. If you have any experience please share! Thank you

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning fish one of my favorite anthias, I have 16, they were added in three groups. The first group of 8 joined a number of other species of Anthias without any issues in February 2020, closely followed by two more groups. I currently have 3 full males.

They are not aggressive either within the group or with other fish in the tank, there is of course, dominance behavior within the group- anthias live in a dominance driven hierarchy so it is to be expected. The breeding males will occasionally chase one of the other fish but that's probably just a build-up of testosterone. You know what boys are like if there's a lot of girls around that need impressing ;)

OP
OP
botheboss

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot! That must be beautiful. I wonder if that has anything to do with the aggression. It might have been a fluke but I’ve herd similar horror stories about Bartlett’s and I don’t want that to happen again. I ended up with 7 males and it was like a battle royal. I think Bartlett’s may be a little different though or at least I’m hoping.

OP
OP
botheboss

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the fish in question

Attachments

• 6D4A0FE1-D27A-463A-90EC-6280C1D9B408.jpeg
    6D4A0FE1-D27A-463A-90EC-6280C1D9B408.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 705

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like Bartlett’s I would get dispar. Unlike the others they are peaceful and will properly shoal. The reason that these other groups of semi aggressive anthias don’t shoal and become aggressive to each other is because they have nothing to fear... in the wild they see strength in numbers but in our tanks where there are not any predators they see each other as a threat and competition

OP
OP
botheboss

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like Bartlett’s I would get dispar. Unlike the others they are peaceful and will properly shoal. The reason that these other groups of semi aggressive anthias don’t shoal and become aggressive to each other is because they have nothing to fear... in the wild they see strength in numbers but in our tanks where there are not any predators they see each other as a threat and competition
So are you saying Id be in the same boat with bimaculatus? And they won’t shoal?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying Id be in the same boat with bimaculatus? And they won’t shoal?
Possibly so. They aren’t as much like the Bartlett’s in which almost always change to male but they are less likely to stay together. Also think about this a shoal in the ocean is like having fish spread out by like a foot or so but in our tanks that’s a big distance though yes they are a lot less likely to shoal.

Peaceful anthias:
Randalls
Resplendent
Dispar
Ignitus
Princess
Pictillis

If you like Bimacs a lot then what you can do is that you can get a shoal of peaceful anthias and Single Bimac or semi aggressive anthias as a ruler

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me here if there is a definition on shoaling on R2R but I'm not sure what behavior you hope to see when you say shoaling.

This is a video of my tank there are 16 Bimacs, over 30 Ignitus, as well as Evensii, Lyretailed and a few odd anthias in there. The fish do not stick to species groups, they wander all over the tank as a mixed group. The males do not maintain a group of females. The only fish you could argue as shoaling are the Fusilier damsels. So I'm not sure what you want to see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
botheboss

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly so. They aren’t as much like the Bartlett’s in which almost always change to male but they are less likely to stay together. Also think about this a shoal in the ocean is like having fish spread out by like a foot or so but in our tanks that’s a big distance though yes they are a lot less likely to shoal.

Peaceful anthias:
Randalls
Resplendent
Dispar
Ignitus
Princess
Pictillis

If you like Bimacs a lot then what you can do is that you can get a shoal of peaceful anthias and Single Bimac or semi aggressive anthias as a ruler
Nice I like that ruler idea! Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
botheboss

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me here if there is a definition on shoaling on R2R but I'm not sure what behavior you hope to see when you say shoaling.

This is a video of my tank there are 16 Bimacs, over 30 Ignitus, as well as Evensii, Lyretailed and a few odd anthias in there. The fish do not stick to species groups, they wander all over the tank as a mixed group. The males do not maintain a group of females. The only fish you could argue as shoaling are the Fusilier damsels. So I'm not sure what you want to see.

That’s beautiful! Yes you have a point. But they are still swimming together in the water column. The last time I kept Bartlett’s I ended up with 3 dominant males that had 3 separate territories in my tank. The rest were sub males and if they or any similar size/ shape fish would come up out of the rocks they would be chased back down. I’d be ok with all together in the water column. This was a end result they did somewhat swim together when they were females.

blueface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I be also had a group of 6 Bartlets all turn male on me and eventually killed each other off until only one left. This took about a year to happen.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful! Yes you have a point. But they are still swimming together in the water column. The last time I kept Bartlett’s I ended up with 3 dominant males that had 3 separate territories in my tank. The rest were sub males and if they or any similar size/ shape fish would come up out of the rocks they would be chased back down. I’d be ok with all together in the water column. This was a end result they did somewhat swim together when they were females.
I see what you meant about the Bartletts. No the Bimacs are nowhere as aggressive as that, they will tolerate other males with just a bit of 'handbags'

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 3 bimacs. I currently have 1 who is currently changing into a male. It is still pink & yellow but has the two black spots on dorsal fin. I actually ordered 2 more bimac females that are on day #15 in QT. They have been through 2 days of QT and are eating like pigs.

I had one other female with the transitioning one now and they got along great and swam within range of each other. Unfortunately, I had a bacterial outbreak that both fish caught and my female bimac died but the transitioning one pulled through.

I have read that bimaculatus Anthias do not do well singularly so that is why I have 2 more females who will be entering the DT by December 26th to join the transitioning female!

Great fish with tons of movement and super fun to watch eat. They are only aggressive with other Anthias but when there are 2 he can only focus his aggression on 1 at a time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bimac is my favorite pseudoanthias. Striking in appearance and doesn’t bicker within the group like Bartlett or Lytetail. I have found the males to not be very enduring though. When my male dies and a female makes the switch, it doesn’t last all that long.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bimac is my favorite pseudoanthias. Striking in appearance and doesn’t bicker within the group like Bartlett or Lytetail. I have found the males to not be very enduring though. When my male dies and a female makes the switch, it doesn’t last all that long.
Interesting, why do you think the males don’t prosper? Out of curiosity, how many females do you normally keep with the males?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good question ..... for which I don’t have a particularly good answer. Typically I buy 6 females and let them ‘decide’.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good question ..... for which I don’t have a particularly good answer. Typically I buy 6 females and let them ‘decide’.
I have two females in my QT tank right now but noticed the flame angel I have in there has ICH. Had to dose Copper safe but am doing gradual increase over 3 days.

I have a half transitioned female to male, super weird but it has the two black spots but is still pink and yellow. Have you ever had your Bimacs that went male turn to the red color they are supposed to be?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had transitional males a few times. The females that turn aren’t ever as stunningly colored as the males that come from the wild reefs. I actually prefer the female coloration.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had transitional males a few times. The females that turn aren’t ever as stunningly colored as the males that come from the wild reefs. I actually prefer the female coloration.
Interesting to hear that. I shockingly can’t find to many videos of bimacs on YouTube or data in general. I really do love their look and personalities though. I did try buying a wild caught male, little did I know the transitioning female was going to beat the living F*** out of him and kill him.

For now I’m with you, just adding two more small females for this transitioned Shemale. I think that these fish do better in numbers then flying solo.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back