• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Black dogface puffer in search of...

1cc386ea8e470a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some days I wonder if depression plays a role in their appetite. They are rather emotional (for fish). Maybe he's just bummed out being in a new environment. Perhaps he just needs some time to adjust.

OP
OP
tkiry1

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some days I wonder if depression plays a role in their appetite. They are rather emotional (for fish). Maybe he's just bummed out being in a new environment. Perhaps he just needs some time to adjust.

You are absolutely right... They have to be comfortable and sometimes I think they do have feelings.... Absolutely.......

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys ever feed live food, in my expeirence with puffer offering live food to them at least one a week is a good way to combat boredom and grind down their teeth.

1cc386ea8e470a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys ever feed live food, in my expeirence with puffer offering live food to them at least one a week is a good way to combat boredom and grind down their teeth.
I never have fed mine life food for a variety of reasons. 1: possibility of adding disease to the tank (this is the main reason). 2: I have Fowler tanks and have NEVER had a puffer with over grown teeth. They have always chewed on the live rocks and broken their teeth naturally. 3: I feed them New Life Spectrum soaked with Brightwell vitamins and amino acids. The pellets soak them up within a minute and there is minimal vitamins wasted entering the water column. 4: I give them the Spectrum mega pellet occasionally which is 10 mm in diameter and is rock hard. They find it entertaining and it requires a lot of jaw muscle to break it up.

...just my two cents

OP
OP
tkiry1

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done ghost shrimp once.... Clams on the half shell a lot........ And my guineafowl is eating... Took like two weeks.... Now eats anything...

1cc386ea8e470a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done ghost shrimp once.... Clams on the half shell a lot........ And my guineafowl is eating... Took like two weeks.... Now eats anything...
I had a stars and strips (who's gone now - rest in peace big guy) who absolutely hated frozen clam meat from Ocean Nutrition.

In contrast, I've never met a puff who would turn down squid meat. But I always feed them frozen food (aside from pellets) that have been irradiated to destroy pathogens.

1cc386ea8e470a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tkiry1,
What is the respiration rate of you're adult puffers? My dog face is going at about 75 breaths per minute. He's going through a tank transfer method for ich treatment. Yesterday was the 2nd transfer and he seems lethargic tonight but breathing heavy. I was just curious what the breathing rate of your puffs. Thanks.

OP
OP
tkiry1

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tkiry1,
What is the respiration rate of you're adult puffers? My dog face is going at about 75 breaths per minute. He's going through a tank transfer method for ich treatment. Yesterday was the 2nd transfer and he seems lethargic tonight but breathing heavy. I was just curious what the breathing rate of your puffs. Thanks.

Breathing rate... I have never really noticed.. Lights are off now but I could check in morning for you...

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss:( Never even seen a black one. Lovely.

1cc386ea8e470a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your puffers doing? I tried to count but I don't even see my guys breath.. There breathing is so natural...
He's doing better thanks. This is the first time I've tried the tank transfer method so I'm a little on edge. I did a partial water change that night and let it play it's course. He calmed down about an hour or so after.

Yes, when they are calm and relaxed it can be hard to see their gills pumping.

Thanks

OP
OP
tkiry1

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's doing better thanks. This is the first time I've tried the tank transfer method so I'm a little on edge. I did a partial water change that night and let it play it's course. He calmed down about an hour or so after.

Yes, when they are calm and relaxed it can be hard to see their gills pumping.

Thanks

I got two new puffers this week. A morph golden and the pelagic porcupine puffer... I'm so excited..
b60b85b0e03d3547ba9445697107d192.jpg
6bb0395b3b51c1b172f4110f10fc7435.jpg

Back