Black ich on Foxface?

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help ID if this is black ich or something else and how I should go about treatment?

Foxface is new to the tank added on Sunday. Last night it didn’t have these spots but as of this morning it has two. Eating fine and swimming around the tank as usual, no other fish currently show any signs of the same thing. Thanks in advance!

IMG_7474.jpeg

OP
OP
T

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help ID if this is black ich or something else and how I should go about treatment?

Foxface is new to the tank added on Sunday. Last night it didn’t have these spots but as of this morning it has two. Eating fine and swimming around the tank as usual, no other fish currently show any signs of the same thing. Thanks in advance!

IMG_7474.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_7474.jpeg
This is not black ich and rather what is know as Hyper-melanization which may have come from coral sting such as anemone or other coral such as hammer, torch, puncture from an urchin or similar. Mine got stung by elegance coral. You dont need to treat with anything as it will self heal

OP
OP
T

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not black ich and rather what is know as Hyper-melanization which may have come from coral sting such as anemone or other coral such as hammer, torch, puncture from an urchin or similar. Mine got stung by elegance coral. You dont need to treat with anything as it will self heal
I currently do no have any corals or anything inside the tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Black ich are turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots and these are Not black ich However I just realized this is a new acquisition to your tank and may have occurred at place of purchase

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One can get this type of coloration with any type of injury - including as others have said - coral, etc. I would watch to ensure it is not getting worse, and is getting better.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, those spots are too large to be "black ich", a turbellarian worm. Without a coral to cause a sting like this, I can't say what the cause might be....but some injury and not an acute infection is most likely.

Watch the fish for rapid breathing and/or lack of appetite, those are two common symptoms of more serious issues.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update everyone, it was definitely an injury of some sort. As of this morning both spots are gone and back to normal! Thanks for the help!
They're spastic fish super prone to physical damage ime. They also have nice thick slime coats and are immensely hardy also, so it usually ends up not being a huge deal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back