Black sun corals? Care

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trading some corals with a good man-and he threw in a single head black sun coral

Any special care-how hearty are they? Crappy pic but was suprised tentacles out

OP
OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic
IMG_4398.jpeg

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are hearty lps. I had a large 15 head branch that took over a year to die because I didn't know what to do at the time. The key is to feed alot but keep nutrients in check, it doesn't use light. High in, high out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Was trading some corals with a good man-and he threw in a single head black sun coral

Any special care-how hearty are they? Crappy pic but was suprised tentacles out
Easy care - Very low light in moderate to subtle water flow and feed mnysis shrimp

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can train it to be open during the day.. to get it to open, "tease" the water with some food or garlic, give it a few minutes to start opening. Repeat until it opens up, then target feed. Do this every day at the same time, shifting earlier and earlier. Sooner or later it will stay open most the day. Dendro is another exquisite orange specimen that is very hard to kill, with sane requirements..

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact: There are actually two species of black sun corals: Tubastraea diaphana and T. micranthus. T. micranthus grows large arborescent branches and is usually found on reefs, while T. diaphana (from what I can tell) grows in areas with more sediment and under overhangs.
What we can gather from this is that T. micranthus likes higher flow and lower nutrients, while T. diaphana probably likes lower flow and a little more nutrients.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact: There are actually two species of black sun corals: Tubastraea diaphana and T. micranthus. T. micranthus grows large arborescent branches and is usually found on reefs, while T. diaphana (from what I can tell) grows in areas with more sediment and under overhangs.
What we can gather from this is that T. micranthus likes higher flow and lower nutrients, while T. diaphana probably likes lower flow and a little more nutrients.
Which one has the green tentacles?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back