Black Widow Anemones - your experience? Show them off!

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as mentioned in other threads, I'm considering my first nem. I have a two year old tank and a six month old tank (as a backup plan), well-seasoned and growing corals, and I really just want one type of anemone to put in my 2 yr old tank, as I've heard some back and forth about anemone compatibility and just want to play it safe.

Well, after having looked, I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Black Window bubbletip, however I'm seeing other back and forth conversations, specifically about the look of these nems. Some people say they can be red or deep pink, others say it's only red. The general consensus is the dark bodies, the webbing pattern, and the speckles which may or may not be present.

So can these nems be pink? I ask, because I'm looking at one for sale listed as a 'pink' black widow, and it definitely looks like a dark neon pink in the image with a dark body and speckled tentacles. Thoughts? I would LOVE some pics of your black widows, and any advice on keeping them.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is darker, between red and purple. Sits right next to my rainbow nem and they get along fine. Webbing it a bit faint, and not too speckly, but that might be my light settings.
1693619514706.png

This is the widow when I first got him, size of a quarter:
1693619645134.png

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is darker, between red and purple. Sits right next to my rainbow nem and they get along fine. Webbing it a bit faint, and not too speckly, but that might be my light settings.
1693619514706.png

This is the widow when I first got him, size of a quarter:
1693619645134.png
Oh gosh it was so cute! How long would you say it took to put on some size?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh it was so cute! How long would you say it took to put on some size?
It's been in my tank since late Jan or maybe early Feb. Started slow, but now I can feed it more and it has probably doubled in a month or two.

When they get to the size that they can eat a silverside, then they can really start to grow and split, it seems!

reefykiki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black widow anemone with rose bubble tip anemone. Been together for about two weeks now both happy and healthy.

Attachments

• tempImage9NsqXV.png
    tempImage9NsqXV.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • tempImageN5jCf2.png
    tempImageN5jCf2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 33

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back