Blue clove polyps taking over!

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have been able to keep cloves growing or alive for that matter. Everything else thrives in my tank...

I too feel your pain. I also cannot keep zoanthids but palys do fine. *shrugs*

Any tricks that you reefers have found to keeping these and having them grow so well? A local store has these but are asking about $40-$50 for a frag plug nearly covered (1"x1" square). Want to make sure I can keep these before spending that kind of loot.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shoot come here and I'll give you all you want...I started with a dime sized patch and now a year later it's carpeted my entire bottom. My favia don't have a problem keeping them back, they actually skirt my corals and as the corals grows, the polyps just fall back, it's kinda cool if you ask me!

Last edited:

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can see them here on this rock

pb.jpg

and here...to the left of the chalice, they just pop up in patches out of the blue, no pun intended ;)

jayda2.jpg

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave.

Sell them to Atlantis for 5$ per polyp...... I'm not sure if they are still selling them or not, but maybe they'd be willing to trade.

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i thought they wer 5$ a polyp or something.

So see rev you hvae a 10K worth easily in your tank :) Look on the bright side

Tankguy001

Reef Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just when I thought mine were gone for good their making yet another comeback. I just looked and found them reappearing for the 3rd time

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I remember reading some forums about those things. People were going crazy over them and selling them for way too much. Haha...you guys could make a fortune! lol. I usually try to avoid those corals that can take over a tank. I have enough trouble with my one encrusting gorgonia.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine was a freebie from Eric at fragfarmer, I had no idea they spread like they do, it's not a problem so far...maybe I'll put a bunch of plugs around to get them to grow for the next frag swap I go to

kerrysroxy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you guys go ! this is info I share about Clavularia care. I keep nothing but cloves in my tank , right now I just have cloves and zoas in my 20 gallon

I would not pay a lot for cloves, most of mine I got free or I traded with my friends. The free ones where for me to nurse back to health.

Right now I have those "rare " barry bonds cloves that people are paying 75 a polyp :rolleyes: and the yellow tip ones from atlantis 2 for 60 per polyps :rolleyes: both are growing and becoming healthy again.

I will be adding growth shots of them to my threads soon

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140715&hl=

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1275756

Hope you enjoy the read and the beautiful pictures :eek:

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Kerry! you have some beautiful cloves there, if I could do a seperate tank for high end cloves I would love to do it..Thanks for sharing! :)

kerrysroxy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Kerry! you have some beautiful cloves there, if I could do a seperate tank for high end cloves I would love to do it..Thanks for sharing! :)

your welcome , when I first started the hobby I has an sps tank with cloves and they where not doing well , I could not figure out why they would melt also. I finally realized it was because of the high flow. I love clavularia so much I gave up my sps for them LOL. I will be setting up a sps early next year.

I am getting some really nice blue clove this week, they are not like the tiny snow flak looking ones but a bright/hot blue color type the polyps are a little bigger also I will post some pictures when I get them

BibleSue

Reef Chicks Coral Kitchen
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, your blue cloves on palys are still doing fine. Palys still opening even with the cloves growing on them.

IMG_0104.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back