Bobbit worm

jaybk5211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught this guy last night, was about 2 ft long. I have been seeing Dead Sea hares and a couple fish over the last 6 months and would see him attached. Assumed they died and he was just opportunistic, was it a bobbit killing them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 2,118

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been... check this one out..

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a type of Polychaete worm and I would not touch it. They can cause permanent numbness if you do. Most of them that turn up in the hobby are scavengers. Unless it is the Bobbit worm, those bury themselves in the substrate. Keep in mind they also inject narcotizing or killing toxin into their prey animal. Regardless don't touch them.

OP
OP
jaybk5211

jaybk5211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't touch em, I flushed him. Lol

I'm just trying to confirm it was a bobbit if anyone can tell. Thought it was a big bristle, but I I kept seeing Dead Sea hares or decent sized fish dead after less than 24 hrs in the tank. They would usually be dead in this same spot, behind a rock right at the sand bed and this guy would be attached and a hole eaten in them. I thought they died and he was just opportunistically scavenging, but now that I can see more than just a couple inches of him I'm thinking it's more than that and not just a bristleworm.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty nasty. Good thing they don't come along very often. Mostly in new live rock.

What did the head look like? Did it have an appendage that looked like clamps with jagged edges? Or just thick whisker looking things? If it was in your crushed coral and it had that appendage it could be the bobbit. But more then likly it was on of the scavenger kind.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I was helping my Buddie break down his 180 for a move to his new house found one that had to be pushing 4ft Idk how it went that long undetected , glad it wasn't me lifting that last rock cause I probably would of dropped it and busted the bottom out the tank:eek:

Attachments

• downloadfile-8.jpeg
    downloadfile-8.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 902

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bristle worm, I had one, never touch it, it will cause a temporary numb, followed with a slight pain, nothing more though. But these guys will attack your fish only at night. Go in your tank and lift your center rocks and there's probably more, that same size...

My tank had many, find and kill them so the smaller ones can be eat by your selected crew for them. If you don't have a clean up crew for them, buy some. There's so many options for clean up crews.

Hopes this helps.

bobbychullo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are bristleworms. the above are polychaete. i think one of the defining characteristics is the difference in the head (among other things). polychaete has a more defined and obvious head. the difference is pretty obvious to me. bristleworms eat detritus, polychaete have a varied diet depending on species. they leave behind mucus where they kill their prey i believe, its more obvious on something like a snail shell (if they have eaten the snail) or on a coral.

diving-the-goldcoast.jpg
post-3417-0-37516100-1391974360.jpg
Bristleworm-coming-out-of-hole-in-rock.jpg
4259969705_e631d0d197_m.jpg

OP
OP
jaybk5211

jaybk5211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must have been a bobbit then if it leaves behind a slime coat area. I repeatedly found dead snails in the morning with stringy we like slime all around and over them.

bobbychullo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea sounds like it, pretty strong evidence. Thats the reason I posted the photos, in your photo I could not see the head but it didn't look like a bristleworm.

Keep your eye open and count your livestock, there can be more. especially if you had a large one there's usually some small ones, from the stuff I have read. I'm not trying to make you scared or frustrated, just don't want you to let your guard down. Some guy designed a sweet trap that supposedly works, I read this a few years ago tho. I'm going to google it now but it basically involved nylons and an inverted 2 liter bottle i believe. You put bait inside and they go for it and get caught in the nylons.

EDIT: Search for Eunicid worm. I haven't found the trap yet but I seem to remember now it was a pvc pipe with a cap on the end maybe, nylons inside. Its been a long time since I researched these guys lol

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back