OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I havent uploaded any pics lately so here are a few. The stand has progressed A LOT since these were taken, its almost done now actually. Ill take a few tomorrow when I finish it. I get so caught up in the work I forget to takes pics lol.

Sump when I opened it... Looked awesome, I now have scratches on the bottom from sliding in and out of the stand :eek:
IMG_1554.JPG

My trusty "helper". Always gotta be right in the way...
IMG_1555.JPG

Stand taking shape. The small 2x4s were there to help keep it square. They helped, kinda.
IMG_1556.JPG

Well I measured the with so the inside of the uprights fit the sump... Well as you can see I didnt take into account for the 2x4s on the back so I had to notch them out to slide it in. There is still over half the 2x4 on either side and I am putting in a removable 2x in the center since I took away from the integrity of the other 2... Stupid mistake can make life hell lol.
IMG_1564.JPG

As of now the stand is skinned, painted, trim is on and the wood filler is in to hide the nails. Tomorrow I plan to touch up the paint, cut out the door and figure out a way to have it sit in place. It is gonna be a removable door.

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! Looks like you have a well thought out plan and everything seems to be coming together! Love the sump and that stand looks like it is going to be awesome! I will be subscribing to your thread! Can't wait to see the finished product! What type of corals you plan on keeping in that bad boy?

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals you plan on keeping in that bad boy?

I have a set list of CUC, fish, and inverts that will be in the tank. Coral however I am not sure. I do have a list of what I would like to have in it, it will be a mixed reef with a little bit of everything. It isnt set in stone yet. I went to a one of my LFS and was looking around and saw some nice stuff so itll probably be a mix of stuff I find online and random pick ups from the LFS lol.

CUC: 40B snail only package from ReefCleaners.org
Inverts: Skunk Cleaner Shrimp x2, Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp, Marble Starfish, RBTA, Maxima Blue Clam, maybe a Feather Duster or 2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is just about finished, just had to cut out the door and touch up the paint from the wood filler. I went with a 2 tone design, I believe it was Volcanic Ash Gray and just a white spray paint.
The stand is complete I will post pictures Thursday. Its not perfect but that just gives it character. I was at the point with the stand where I just felt like f-it looks good to me. You can only see the imperfections from about 3ft away so not very noticable.
IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

I found a way to keep my helper out of the way. Kept her happy and distracted.
IMG_1596.JPG

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I have solidified my fish stock list. Let me know what yall think.

Black & White Clownfish x2
Yellow Clown Goby
Diamond Watchman Goby
Spotted Mandarin
Black Axil Chromis
Bicolor Blenny
Purple Firefish

The Purple Firefish is a maybe fish, its cool but I could live without. The Spotted Mandarin will probably be one of the last added and the Clownfish will probably be the first 2 added unless yall think due to territorial issues I should add them closer to last.

The wife has been begging me for a Yellow Tang even though I have told her countless times it requires a much larger tank. Since she works near a LFS I wouldnt be suprised if she brings one home. Luckily she knows if she does it has to be the smallest possible and I have seen em there a tad bigger than a quater. Good thing they will give me store credit for it when it gets too big, hopefully itll be a slow grower...

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife has been begging me for a Yellow Tang even though I have told her countless times it requires a much larger tank. Since she works near a LFS I wouldnt be suprised if she brings one home. Luckily she knows if she does it has to be the smallest possible and I have seen em there a tad bigger than a quater. Good thing they will give me store credit for it when it gets too big, hopefully itll be a slow grower...

Everything looks good (and I'm glad you're able to do wood working and not ruin your fingers)!!! Just tell your wife that if she brings home a tang you'll need to upgrade to a bigger tank in order to keep it! :D

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks good (and I'm glad you're able to do wood working and not ruin your fingers)!!

Haha thanks man. I too am using a hand me down table saw. This thing is easily 25+ years old, the thing scares me haha. But yea thats what I told her and she said only when we get our permanent house.

edit: I lied, I asked my dad how old the table saw is and he said from the 50s LOL!

Last edited:

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I saw you had plumbing parts...not sure if that list included unions or not, but if not I'd highly recommend adding them into your plumbing list. That way if / when you move you don't have to cut out the plumbing and redo it (like I had to do when I moved...HUGE waste of time redoing everything).

Last edited:
OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the plumbing isnt going too far I am only using 3 unions 1 for each drain. I didnt use them last time and regretted it.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered the last few things I needed from BRS the other day. I got 20lbs Special Grade Arag-Alive Reef Sand and the Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit. I also ended up buying Korallen-Zucht Reefers Best Premium Coral Reef Salt because it was on sale for 60$ so I figured why not try it, I will be using Read Sea Coral Pro when it is out unless it is miraculously on sale again. I threw in a few PVC pipe clamps and rachet clamps for tubing to try out, figured why not.

All I need to buy now is the last 2 bulbs and im set till Black Friday lol.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered the last few things I needed from BRS the other day. I got 20lbs Special Grade Arag-Alive Reef Sand and the Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit. I also ended up buying Korallen-Zucht Reefers Best Premium Coral Reef Salt because it was on sale for 60$ so I figured why not try it, I will be using Read Sea Coral Pro when it is out unless it is miraculously on sale again. I threw in a few PVC pipe clamps and rachet clamps for tubing to try out, figured why not.

All I need to buy now is the last 2 bulbs and im set till Black Friday lol.

I love getting packages in the mail from BRS!

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is done!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434239198.478433.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434239210.380794.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434239223.216918.jpg

As you can see in order to have the full siphon and keep water in the overflow I had to close the ball valve some. It's about 60% open I would say.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434239297.713835.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434239314.289727.jpg

I have a few videos to upload and ask questions about. I will upload those later.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the week! I have just about everything I need. I ordered a DI stage for my RO unit and it should be in Wednesday. So come Wednesday I will be moving the tank and sump into its final place, make it all level and start filling it. Since its only a 50gpd itll probably be Friday ish since I will be filling up 5gal buckets o_O. The rock has been sitting in salt water with powerheads and a heater since the 27th of May, I have changed the water twice. Havent checked phosphates but I did check for nitrites and they were there so im thinking my cycle in the tank may not take that long :D. Guess I will mount my light brackets today or tomorrow so I can have them up when the tank is full.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed. Looks very thought out. :)

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water yet, got everything in place but the heater. Making water now just super slow. It's already fairly level but ima get maybe 10g of water in it to see if it settles any. Once full I'll plug in the pump and powerhead mix in the salt and once it's mixed and at correct temp I will add the live sand and figure out my rock work.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435422105.071924.jpg

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is FUULLLLLLLL! Now after work I will add the salt, heat it up and add my rock and sand. Woohoo! It only took 5 days of off and on water making lol...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back