Brittle/Soft new growth

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I do to strengthen my new growth. On some LPS and SPS it is really soft. I was able to frag my Galaxea with a butter knife. I cannot think of any reason this would happen other than some sort of chemical imbalance.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low calcium and ALk. What are your parameters on those.
Calcium is a MUST for bones.

OP
OP
John Carroll

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a sample to a LFS also for them to test just in case my Red Sea was bad or I was doing it wrong. Nope, they were pretty close too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a sample to a LFS also for them to test just in case my Red Sea was bad or I was doing it wrong. Nope, they were pretty close too.
that's odd. Is the flow low? If the flow is low it would inhibit the corals ability to take in minerals.

OP
OP
John Carroll

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a thought I had. I was running 2 Jebao 40s. I have taken one down and replaced it with a Tunze 6105. Next group buy I am thinking about buying another 6105 or one of the new Icecap Gyres

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a thought I had. I was running 2 Jebao 40s. I have taken one down and replaced it with a Tunze 6105. Next group buy I am thinking about buying another 6105 or one of the new Icecap Gyres
Personally I look at the coral and the amount of water flowing past over a model. The best flow/growth I ever got was with tools no current reefer would consider.
With higher flow comes a reduction in the boundary layer of the coral. It why placement IMO, should be a flow consideration and not a lighting one.
You weren't running High po4?

OP
OP
John Carroll

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. If anything my nutrients were too low. I had some really pale colors for a long time. I was finally able to get my nutrients up by adding a few more fish. More fish, more food.

OP
OP
John Carroll

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had really fast growth. I still do actually. It has slowed a little but that is what I need.

OP
OP
John Carroll

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of any chemical imbalance that clearly leads to brittle corals. Low flow can certainly result in thinner skeletons.
Sad face. I was really hoping it was something chemically out of whack. @Randy Holmes-Farley I have been waiting to hear what you had to say knowing that you would know more than anyone else.

John

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of any chemical imbalance that clearly leads to brittle corals. Low flow can certainly result in thinner skeletons.

Sad face. I was really hoping it was something chemically out of whack. @Randy Holmes-Farley I have been waiting to hear what you had to say knowing that you would know more than anyone else.

John
Ive had several instances of soft corals due to low cal alk. esp in smaller tanks when cal demand was not met during periods of quick growth. Mostly noted in montipora, chalices and stylophora.

You have a very odd problem.

1MJG1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so whats your concern? how brittle the galaxy coral is? to be honest, its super fragile always i can frag it with a sneeze. SPS grow on demands and flow if they need to be thicker skeleton they will, but most coral are fragile by nature

OP
OP
John Carroll

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so whats your concern? how brittle the galaxy coral is? to be honest, its super fragile always i can frag it with a sneeze. SPS grow on demands and flow if they need to be thicker skeleton they will, but most coral are fragile by nature
I was just concerned with how easy some of it is to frag

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back