Broad-Spectrum LED Blend

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Todd. Let me ask you if you noticed a difference when you added the Violets? Growth? colors? I personally think that 400-430 is very important

I also believe fully after a lot of research just how important the Violet spectrum is to both growth and Coral color (both fluoresced and reflected) and did indeed notice a positive change. Growth is/was hard to tell as many of my colonies are so large and grow so fast, the Rose Milli alone probably has 250-300 growth inches per month and I regularly frag the Birdsnest colonies otherwise get to be Basketball size. What information I did not add above is that from spreading out the emitters I get a very even PAR reading throughout most of the tank comparable to T5 consistency, 250-350 PAR for the most part for the entire upper half and 150-175 on bottom half even partially under tabling Acro's. As compared to most commercial fixtures I don't end up with 'Hot Spots' or 'shaded' areas.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info on the PAR, Todd. Did you measure with a traditional PAR meter?

I am getting between 180 and 220 PAR (measured with standard meter) where I keep my acros, and my lps/zoas zone gets less, down to about 75. I find my rainbow acans keep their rainbow colors best in the dimmest area, partially shaded in the 50-75 PAR reading - tho I suspect PAR is actually higher being that the meter likely doesn't read the violet and blues correctly.

Last edited:

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the thread!

Check out jedimasterben's led build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/le...ourself-light-emitting-diodes-steroids-4.html I really like his latest, and the use of T5s for spectrum / light fill goes along with what I believe. LEDs are great for concentrated light and the control you get is ineradicable but nothing beats a T5 for fill. In the real world reefs get direct and indirect light and I think we all will have better tanks if we try to bring that to our tanks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back