Brown fluffy stuff on live rocks

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
owners of invaded tanks aren’t equipped to evaluate cure methods, to choose among them, or they wouldn’t be in the position of being under extended invasion in the first place.
I'm not sure "having some unknown stuff show up in the tank and start growing" is a criteria that renders someone instantly incapable of evaluating information about that stuff. Wanting to be certain that disturbing a tank so much is the only good solution is, IMO, a good sign for someone's ability to consider information they're being given.

OP
OP
A

al619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure "having some unknown stuff show up in the tank and start growing" is a criteria that renders someone instantly incapable of evaluating information about that stuff. Wanting to be certain that disturbing a tank so much is the only good solution is, IMO, a good sign for someone's ability to consider information they're being given.
I hear you , but no I’m not going to pull out all my rocks to scrub. I’ll stick to turkey basting it as long it’s not killing my corals. Honestly, the stuff we have does not look like Chrysophyta.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm agreeing with your asking questions, not suggesting that you absolutely have to scrub everything. I'm sure scrubbing would work, but there might also be other solutions, including management/ignoring it. If it's not hurting anything, might not be worth the trouble to get rid of.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would see if this is relevant. I was doing my maintenance and blowing this sh%t off my rocks and notices on the rocks in the bottom back of the tank they were covered with what appears to be spirorbid worms. Could there be an correlation between the two? Maybe trapping the detritus? Just trying to think outside the box... Still not harming anything, just annoying!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spirobids like detritus, so they're probably just eating it rather than causing anything. Interesting thought, though.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on this stuff... Two things have changed in my tank recently. 1) I have implemented the AF probiotic method to reduce my nitrates and phosphates. It is working and they are down significantly from 50+ NO3 and .3 PO4 down to 15 and .08. I noticed a lot of improvement with this stuff, but it was still there just not as bad.
2) I was having some issues with my torch when splitting so I did a dip then did an in tank treatment of cipro. I also have some issues with bubbling acros, so thought I would see if the cipro helps that at all. Today was my final day of my 4 day dosing and I noticed a lot of debris in the sand. Guess what.... I believe the cipro has caused this stuff to dislodge from the rocks.

I wanted to share both major changes, but I am VERY interested in others thoughts on this and if this might mean it was a bacteria build up on the rocks????

OP
OP
A

al619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on this stuff... Two things have changed in my tank recently. 1) I have implemented the AF probiotic method to reduce my nitrates and phosphates. It is working and they are down significantly from 50+ NO3 and .3 PO4 down to 15 and .08. I noticed a lot of improvement with this stuff, but it was still there just not as bad.
2) I was having some issues with my torch when splitting so I did a dip then did an in tank treatment of cipro. I also have some issues with bubbling acros, so thought I would see if the cipro helps that at all. Today was my final day of my 4 day dosing and I noticed a lot of debris in the sand. Guess what.... I believe the cipro has caused this stuff to dislodge from the rocks.

I wanted to share both major changes, but I am VERY interested in others thoughts on this and if this might mean it was a bacteria build up on the rocks????
Glad things are going great for you. As for me , this stuff is now 99% eradicated. All I did was feed less and lowered the intensity of my lights. I’m glad I did not pull my rocks out to scrub them like someone on here suggested for me to do. Sometimes we don’t need to do what some expert is telling us to do. We just need to go back to basics. I’m definitely not an expert. Thank you for all the advice.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back