Brown jelly on Goni?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lemme know what you think this is and how to combat it, did a 10 min iced tea iodine dip yesterday. Parameters are all good and stable for a while. Newer frag did do a coral ex dip. Tank is also 8 months or so.
IMG_3357.jpeg
IMG_3355.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3354.mov
    28.2 MB

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off all flow. Siphone off the brown jelly/dead tissue. Dip coral using Lugols iodine based dip.

edit: when you put it back in your tank choose a different spot for it.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off all flow. Siphone off the brown jelly/dead tissue. Dip coral using Lugols iodine based dip.

edit: when you put it back in your tank choose a different spot for it.
If it keeps coming back, should I continue doing iodine dips daily or every other day or what do you think?

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it keeps coming back, should I continue doing iodine dips daily or every other day or what do you think?
Do you have other lps in your tank? Do they look like they’re getting it as well or have they been doing well? Also, can you post your parameters?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other lps in your tank? Do they look like they’re getting it as well or have they been doing well? Also, can you post your parameters?
This is the tank it came from my 55 gallon. The other lps in the tank are doing good as well as the lps in my 20 gallon that I switched it too.
IMG_3359.jpeg
IMG_3358.jpeg

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one hell fire torch is a little smaller than ussaly but no recessing still eating and open. As well as all the other torches around it are open as well.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah everything looks in check, I was going to say high salinity can cause brown jelly and it also loves temps 80F and above.

but if all other lps are healthy they should be okay, brown jelly is opportunistic, as soon as a coral gets a little stressed (usually do to a sudden change in water paramters) it attacks. do the dip and keep it close to the front of your display or in the 20g for a few days at least to keep a close eye on it, if it comes back repeat the dip.. if you keep it in the 20g for a bit you’ll also be able to see if any other corals develop it in the 55g. Also make sure you have a good flow around it, that should help.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah everything looks in check, I was going to say high salinity can cause brown jelly and it also loves temps 80F and above.

but if all other lps are healthy they should be okay, brown jelly is opportunistic, as soon as a coral gets a little stressed (usually do to a sudden change in water paramters) it attacks. do the dip and keep it close to the front of your display or in the 20g for a few days at least to keep a close eye on it, if it comes back repeat the dip.. if you keep it in the 20g for a bit you’ll also be able to see if any other corals develop it in the 55g. Also make sure you have a good flow around it, that should help.
Thanks for the advice

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back