OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you do have some good areas of coralline algae forming.
sweet!!! I thought so too!!

Looks like some cyano + diatoms growing on top of hair algae. This is common. Should pass too if you reduce lighting, feeding and increase water changes + h202. Twilliard will get you all fixed up :)

ok common I like lol, that's what im doing I cut feeding back to once a day which unfortunately made my clowns a bit aggressive with each other at feeding time but they will get over it I suppose, I have reduced lighting and I am doing a small vac/water change every few days....seems to be knocking out the cyano, as for the hair we may grab a couple of small hermits, I love watching them crawl around.......and yes twilliard is a great help I appreciate it!!!

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so a little update, as of this point it looks like all of the cyano is gone, however now I have another issue lol I have green hair algae growing on my rocks, quite a bit of it too........any ideas or just another phase of a new tank? @twilliard I know you got something for me lol

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so a little update, as of this point it looks like all of the cyano is gone, however now I have another issue lol I have green hair algae growing on my rocks, quite a bit of it too........any ideas or just another phase of a new tank? @twilliard I know you got something for me lol
New Phase! Let your clean up crew take care of it. :)

gobylove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and pull up what they don't get as best you can. bubble algae should be arriving shortly. :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need to ride it out or if I need to take action.
that deep oolite bed is gonna take awhile to mature. Good husbandry, and ride it out. bandaids are fine, because bandages can help. i wouldn't consider surgery for a scraped knee or growing pains.

really nice tank btw. looks healthy.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I had the wife take some pics here you go, give me good news!! lol

20160824_104938_zpsuvkdgxzl.jpg

20160824_104633_zpsrglf6b9c.jpg

20160824_104952_zpsqjkpuhy2.jpg

20160824_105104_zpsizhcsvdl.jpg

20160824_104705_zps3xpi4okf.jpg

your ugly phase is rocking! the corraline is blowing up isnt it. Good news, itll steal the food from the cyano.

your almost there!!

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Phase! Let your clean up crew take care of it. :)

kinda what I figured I bought some GFO just in case it starts getting crazy, lol

that deep oolite bed is gonna take awhile to mature. Good husbandry, and ride it out. bandaids are fine, because bandages can help. i wouldn't consider surgery for a scraped knee or growing pains.

really nice tank btw. looks healthy.

yea, im going to ride it out my hermits are working on it but not nearly fast enough lol........and thanks!! I try seeing its my first salt tank

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda what I figured I bought some GFO just in case it starts getting crazy, lol
Kinda late for that. Cyano is to phosphates as hair algae is to nitrates?
GFO will reduce po4 but not no3.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya this can be solved. It may be tedious or time consuming but here we go!
Take out a rock with GHA and use a pipette to apply H2O2 to the algae. Let it sit for about 4 minutes and put back into the tank. Done, it will be dead within 72 hours.
Soak it good to get all the way down to the end of the "roots"

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went to do some cleaning this am and spotted what I think is a bristle worm, I read mixed reviews leave it or yank it? its small maybe a little less than the width of a pencil I only saw about an inch hanging out of the rock then he hid back in the rock.........twilliard I have to move the tank out of my apartment and into my new house in November so ill probably wait till then to do the removal and h2o2 method, removing the rock now would be a serious pain a lot of it is epoxied together

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back