BRS RO/DI Unit - What do I put in this Cannister?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding what media filter I should be getting for an extra cannister. To explain the situation: I recently bought a new BRS 4 stage unit (left), and will be attaching my old single cannister from my old unit to the new 4 stage unit to make it a 5 stage unit (right).

The new 4 stage unit is on the left, and the old DI canister on the right. Through BRS and others suggestion; I am going to add this old DI canister onto the 4 stage unit, and make it a 5 stage. I will remove the contents / media of the 4th canister (the color changing DI resin), and put that in the old extra canister as the final DI segment.

My question: What should I put in the empty 4th canister from the new unit after I take out the color changing DI resin, and put that in the old 5th canister? Should I put in another 5 Micron VOC Chlorine Carbon Block, or just a 5 Micron Universal Carbon Block? There are also the 1 microns, but I assume I should be avoiding those.

I hope I did not make this more confusing! If so I can try to re-word. I added the photo below of the new 4 stage unit, and old canister next to it.

RODO.jpg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a bit confused though. The Color changing DI resin is actually the 3rd stage I believe? The 4th stage would be the white cannister on the top. On the BRS site it says the 3rd stage is the "GPD Dow Filmtec Membrane"

Why does it say "Color Changing DI Resin" on the unit, but the website says "GPD Dow Filmetc Membrane" unless that is the same thing??? They call stage 4 the "Nuclear Grade Color-Changing Deionization Resin".

So theoretically I have to put the contents of stage 4 in the new stage 5?? Than what would I put in / replace the 4th stage with?

I hope I am thinking about this correctly.. Could really use some help.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sediment filter to 1 micron carbon to 1 micron carbon to the RO unit on top then the last "extra" canister is your mixed bed resin then out to the water reservoir-

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the white canister on top is your membrane, stage 3. canister to your right is your 4th stage, di resin. just leave it a 4 stage,

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every stage you said does not match mine. All my filters are 5 Micron. The third stage is Color changing DI resin, not 1 micro carbon.. Honestly you didnt really answer any of my questions?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every stage you said does not match mine. All my filters are 5 Micron. The third stage is Color changing DI resin, not 1 micro carbon.. Honestly you didnt really answer any of my questions?
What I listed is the way BRS does the 5 stage set-up

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between the 1 Micron, and 5 microns? I should be sticking with 5 micron filters as it says on the top of my unit, right? For stage 1, and first stage 2.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between the 1 Micron, and 5 microns? I should be sticking with 5 micron filters as it says on the top of my unit, right? For stage 1, and first stage 2.
I run 1 micron sediment and carbon block from brs.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is breaking my brain right now.. I am so confused and frustrated. Everyone is telling me different stuff. This has not been an easy or fun experience at all.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second cannister in the unit says 5 Micron VOC CHLORINE carbon block. But if you look at the unit I purchased on the site the second cannister just shows to be a 5 Micron VOC carbon block (without the chlorine). Every 4 stage value unit on the site says a different thing for the 2nd cannister. This is making this incredibly confusing..

Also what is the difference between the 5 microns and 1 microns?? No one answered my question on whether or not I have to get a specific Micron.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what happens when someone steps in and instead of looking at the advice given is fine and just giving a thumbs up , they go and confuse the op. The way I gave you is the BRS way.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really not that hard.
Just run the 4 stage amd forget the 4th. I have ran it that way for over 7 years withno issues.
Here is a pic of mine for reference.
20240128_073656.jpg
I am literally going off the advice of the LAST POST I MADE HERE, and BRS. All of you literally told me make it a 5 stage with my old cannister.. Also you just said run the 4th stage and forget the 4th. That doesnt make any sense.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for clarifying. I was copying this model to create the new 5 stage one with my old cannister. What greatly confused me is the 1 Micron on the one you are showing me, and fact mine says 5 micron. The 2nd and 3rd cannister on the link you showed me is a Universal Carbon Block. The one on mine is a VOC chlroine carbon block.

Should I get just another 5 micron Universal Carbon block?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second cannister in the unit says 5 Micron VOC CHLORINE carbon block. But if you look at the unit I purchased on the site the second cannister just shows to be a 5 Micron VOC carbon block (without the chlorine). Every 4 stage value unit on the site says a different thing for the 2nd cannister. This is making this incredibly confusing..

Also what is the difference between the 5 microns and 1 microns?? No one answered my question on whether or not I have to get a specific Micron.
The reason for 1 micron is it helps the ro unit last longer. Saves money

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back