Bubble Algae on old live rocks - Clean up and throw em back in?

corallineaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

I've got a solid 7-10 lbs of reef rock that was covered in bubble algae a few weeks ago sitting in my garage. I replaced some of the rock work with new live rock but forgot about these in one of the buckets. I'm sure they dried out by now - can I powerwash them and toss em back in? Was thinking about powerwashing tonight and leaving out tonight thru tomorrow mid-day and adding these back in.

Tank is 99% clear of bubble algae and really want to make sure this doesn't start another outbreak.

Thanks!

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have a lot of die off on those. You'll want to scrub them off and then soak in bleach water for a few days to a week. Rinse them really well and then let them completely dry out in the sun over multiple days.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

I've got a solid 7-10 lbs of reef rock that was covered in bubble algae a few weeks ago sitting in my garage. I replaced some of the rock work with new live rock but forgot about these in one of the buckets. I'm sure they dried out by now - can I powerwash them and toss em back in? Was thinking about powerwashing tonight and leaving out tonight thru tomorrow mid-day and adding these back in.

Tank is 99% clear of bubble algae and really want to make sure this doesn't start another outbreak.

Thanks!
I think bubble algae ends up in every tank sooner or later.

It only gets crazy out of control for a few lucky folks.

I'd clean well and reuse.

OP
OP
corallineaddict

corallineaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it sounds like a lot of work and time to get these back in the tank. We're talkin' a good scrub, then soak for days/week or so, another clean/rinse and then another week of drying. This does not sit well with my (im)patience. lol. New rocks it is!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it sounds like a lot of work and time to get these back in the tank. We're talkin' a good scrub, then soak for days/week or so, another clean/rinse and then another week of drying. This does not sit well with my (im)patience. lol. New rocks it is!
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby :)

If you're the impatient type, you're in for a rough ride.

OP
OP
corallineaddict

corallineaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby :)

If you're the impatient type, you're in for a bad time.
lol I'll be fine. If spending a few bucks on rocks saves me all of the time spent on cleaning and drying, etc... I'll have it sorted tomorrow with the re-scape. Nice and fast! In this hobby, even!

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the shape of the rock makes it worth a bit of work. Besides, you do not know what evils lie in the next rock you buy.

OP
OP
corallineaddict

corallineaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the shape of the rock makes it worth a bit of work. Besides, you do not know what evils lie in the next rock you buy.
I only use Real Reef Live Rock and have never had any issues. Do you have any personal experiences with them that I should be looking for?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back