BubbleMagus Mini q very noisy

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the bm mini q in the back of my deskmate Florida. It works really well, but is really irritatingly noisy. Anyone else have this issue or a suggestion to fix it? It’s so annoying I’m thinking of taking it out even though it works so well.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the bm mini q in the back of my deskmate Florida. It works really well, but is really irritatingly noisy. Anyone else have this issue or a suggestion to fix it? It’s so annoying I’m thinking of taking it out even though it works so well.
Have you tried putting it on a timer? Then it could work while you are away

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting it on a timer? Then it could work while you are away
I could do that, it's hooked up to my Hydros system so scheduling would be easy. Would it be fine to just run it at night? I'm used to running skimmers 24/7.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could do that, it's hooked up to my Hydros system so scheduling would be easy. Would it be fine to just run it at night? I'm used to running skimmers 24/7.
A lot of equipment can be run part time. Jennifer Niels from New Wave Aquaria posted this in a video. Useful for when you don’t want to drop nutrients to zero. My GFO only runs for an hour a night. BRS uses ozone for an hour as well

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of equipment can be run part time. Jennifer Niels from New Wave Aquaria posted this in a video. Useful for when you don’t want to drop nutrients to zero. My GFO only runs for an hour a night. BRS uses ozone for an hour as well
Thanks! I'll try running just at night! It really is a great little skimmer.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a little noisy, then I took it apart, didn’t really clean it, put it back together then very quiet…I have just swapped to the Bubble Magus from Tunze and the BM is silent compared to the Tunze.

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a little noisy, then I took it apart, didn’t really clean it, put it back together then very quiet…I have just swapped to the Bubble Magus from Tunze and the BM is silent compared to the Tunze.
Good to know. Now that I have it lower in the water it is quieter. I was considering Tunze, but the bubble magus is a fraction of the price and it works great.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Now that I have it lower in the water it is quieter. I was considering Tunze, but the bubble magus is a fraction of the price and it works great.
Tunze is worse in every regard, apart from it sits lower so less visible but this is probably why its much noisier and less effective.

I previously had a BM for only a week, loved having a skimmer so thought I would “upgrade” to the tunze, hated it from day one, just bought another BM today, fitted and its skimming within an hour silently (very light skim for now).

rcreightonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a mini q a little more than a month ago for a Nuvo 20. It's almost silent, produces dark skim and no micro bubbles after short break-in period.

My Octo Classic 150sss in sump enclosed in a stand is much louder and requires more attention to keep running optimally without bubbles.

I liked the mini q so much I got 2 more.

I found that they produce so few bubbles, I could fit one in the return chamber on Biocube 32 with stock lid closed. No micro bubbles entering display.

The last pic is of the skim I collected after being away 11 days with the skimmer internal water level adjusted on the low side. This was on a Biocube 32 with a light bio load.

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpeg
    IMG_1242.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1241.jpeg
    IMG_1241.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1240.mov
    8.8 MB
  • IMG_1239.jpeg
    IMG_1239.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1238.jpeg
    IMG_1238.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a mini q a little more than a month ago for a Nuvo 20. It's almost silent, produces dark skim and no micro bubbles after short break-in period.

My Octo Classic 150sss in sump enclosed in a stand is much louder and requires more attention to keep running optimally without bubbles.

I liked the mini q so much I got 2 more.

I found that they produce so few bubbles, I could fit one in the return chamber on Biocube 32 with stock lid closed. No micro bubbles entering display.

The last pic is of the skim I collected after being away 11 days with the skimmer internal water level adjusted on the low side. This was on a Biocube 32 with a light bio load.
I really love mine. The performance for the price is amazing, it just makes a kind of constant clicking noise when it's running. Maybe I got a slightly defective unit? I may buy another just to check seeing as how cheap they are and how well they work.

I am right next to mine for hours a day though. It's on my desk, so maybe I'm noticing the noise others don't.

rcreightonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love mine. The performance for the price is amazing, it just makes a kind of constant clicking noise when it's running. Maybe I got a slightly defective unit? I may buy another just to check seeing as how cheap they are and how well they work.

I am right next to mine for hours a day though. It's on my desk, so maybe I'm noticing the noise others don't.
I think you definitely got a detective one. No clicking at all. My video with sound is unplayable on here, unfortunately. Just a slight sound from internal bubbly current movement. Not a problem 3’ from my head at night. The water movement sound in my biocube 32 from dc return pump makes skimmer inaudible in front of tank.

I got all 3 of mine off Aliexpress. 2 came in retail packaging with authentication certificates. The other was a different tint in the plastic housing and the authentication certificate was different, but came with everything and they all perform the same. The 2 that were definitely genuine were actually less expensive. All less then half of retail.

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you definitely got a detective one. No clicking at all. My video with sound is unplayable on here, unfortunately. Just a slight sound from internal bubbly current movement. Not a problem 3’ from my head at night. The water movement sound in my biocube 32 from dc return pump makes skimmer inaudible in front of tank.

I got all 3 of mine off Aliexpress. 2 came in retail packaging with authentication certificates. The other was a different tint in the plastic housing and the authentication certificate was different, but came with everything and they all perform the same. The 2 that were definitely genuine were actually less expensive. All less then half of retail.
Great, thanks. I will grab another one and try it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back