Budget 100g propagation tank

STRFTR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Considering taking the plunge and starting a greenhouse coral farm. I want to do an interconnected system of multiple 100g shallow aquaculture tubs

Something like this, rectangular or square: https://groindoor.com/products/hydr...CqpEDA4842BlWGymgy0s_UKE5vVHH9OxoCBMoQAvD_BwE

The problem is they are pricey! I don’t really want to blow thousands on plastic tubs, however, will if that’s the only way due to leaching or other good reasons.

Anyone know of any good budget coral growing tubs?

Thanks!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you're relatively handy you can do a plywood tank. I built one that's roughly 100 gallons. Cost was right around $400 but could be done cheaper. I went extra thick on the epoxy, I like overkill.

If this is something you would consider check out the "king of diy plywood aquarium" series on YouTube. He gives in depth info on how to build one.

OP
OP
S

STRFTR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're relatively handy you can do a plywood tank. I built one that's roughly 100 gallons. Cost was right around $400 but could be done cheaper. I went extra thick on the epoxy, I like overkill.

If this is something you would consider check out the "king of diy plywood aquarium" series on YouTube. He gives in depth info on how to build one.
Yea that might be a good option too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was looking at these last night and really hoping that wasn’t the case lol I’m sure the cost is in the UV resistance.
I've been searching for months for a better option. You just won't find the same amount of square footage for the price for growing corals. Going with glass tanks gives you height you don't need and you will end up spending more money to get the same growing area. The reservoirs are easy to light and less plumbing all around as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back