Build Thread/Journal: 180 gal & the next day, 265 gallon. Now Waterbox 20 cube tester!

dpforlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, new here but I’ve been reading threads trying to learn for sometime . Never did a build thread before but I figured what the heck! To explain, I am very use to fresh water and had some aggressive tanks over the years, mainly piranhas. I use to help my mother with her saltwater tanks when I was a kid back in the 80’s but it was water mixing and simple HOB filters back then. That time was special for us, “our time”. Fast forward to today, I have a six year old and I want him to have that same time and experience that I had. I’ve always wanted a saltwater tank and recently I was practically gifted 2 tanks, a 180 gal that’s drilled and a 250 gal that is not drilled. When I say gift I mean I paid for them but the price was so low that it feels like it was a gift! I also received 300 lbs of liverock from a frag system with no fish. The 180 holds water and was in use but one of the inner seals looks like it could use a fresh seal so thinking of redoing the inner seals. The 250 gal holds water also just needs a good cleaning, it also came with a metal stand but it was out in the elements so it needs some work. Not sure what type of fish I want but I do I want a mixed reef.
180 gal
IMG_3772.jpeg

250 gal
IMG_3770.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dpforlife

dpforlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing more research I realize how expensive this hobby is so it got me to thinking, what if I don’t enjoy it? I see so many tanks for sale that come with fish of people giving up on this hobby. So I decided to get a small tank to “test” the waters. I first purchased a Fluval 13.5 on sale at Petco for $140 but decided to take that back after finding the Waterbox 20.

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when my daughter was little, she loved reef tanking. Going to pick out stuff at the lfs together. Good times. Wasn't great when she was real little and would throw pennies in the tank or sump though haha. Best of luck with your setup.

OP
OP
dpforlife

dpforlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I tweaked my back trying to move the 250 and after reading a thread on here where someone corrected another on their tank size based on measurements so I decided to measure. I discovered something that is not correct, the seller told me it’s a 250 gal but based on the measurements it’s actually a 265 gallon with 1/2 thick glass. More to come tomorrow!

IMG_3771.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dpforlife

dpforlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when my daughter was little, she loved reef tanking. Going to pick out stuff at the lfs together. Good times. Wasn't great when she was real little and would throw pennies in the tank or sump though haha. Best of luck with your setup.
Thank you, my son is really excited, if marine biology paid that’s what it would be but…

OP
OP
dpforlife

dpforlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picks up a few items for the cube:
40lbs of Fiji Pink
Syncra 1.0
Green Killing Machine UV
Fluval Sea PS 1 Protein Skimmer
25 gallons of Ocean Water
2 Fluval CP2’s

OP
OP
dpforlife

dpforlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand came out pretty good but still a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_3836.png
    IMG_3836.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
OP
OP
dpforlife

dpforlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting everything in the small chambers of the cube was going ok until I tried to but the protein skimmer with the UV sterilizer in with the middle chamber so I picked a eshopps cube medium. Thinking HOB overflow….

Attachments

• AF2AF331-C87F-459C-8079-EAB65FC338A8.jpeg
    AF2AF331-C87F-459C-8079-EAB65FC338A8.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 29

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back