Building an Alanle style dual stage CO2 regulator

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason to have multiple solenoids is if you want different schedules on your tanks. I just have not seen a need for that to justify the cost and complexity. You would also need additional timers. I just use a simple mechanical timer that turns the CO2 and lights on and off at the same time. I know the planted tank people talk about turning the CO2 on slightly before the lights go on and off, but I have not seen any issue with that.

They also recommend expensive fine tuning needle valves, but unless your tank is really small and has a very low CO2 demand (like less than 1 bubble every 3 seconds). I don't think they are necessary over the ones I referenced. I use about 1 bubble every 1-2 seconds on my 60 gallon and I think I could probably even make these work at lower CO2 flows if I had a better 2-stage regulator that would let me reduce the supply pressure. I bought some Swagelok needle valves and used 2-stage regulators but have not found the need to replace my old system with the spider manifold.

I will work up a sketch of my Griggs reactors for you. CO2 with relatively soft acidic water is really essential if you want to have really nice-looking FW planted tank IMO.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back